Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default workbook contains one or more links that cannot be updated

I copied a sheet from another workbook as "Values Only". When I open the
workbook now I get a message "Workbook contains one or more links that connot
be updated". I can't seem to figure out where the links are in the workbook
and they do not pop up in my list of "Links..." I see no macros in the
workbook and I don't believe it would be in "Conditional Formatting" or
"Validation..." Any advice on where to look for this link or break it from
it's source to prevent the pop up message?

Synapsless
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Did you try the Edit Menu - Links? I had a problem witth a link. I deleted
everything from the worksheet and never found the link. Then I broke the
link in the Edit menu and it disappeared.

"Synapsless" wrote:

I copied a sheet from another workbook as "Values Only". When I open the
workbook now I get a message "Workbook contains one or more links that connot
be updated". I can't seem to figure out where the links are in the workbook
and they do not pop up in my list of "Links..." I see no macros in the
workbook and I don't believe it would be in "Conditional Formatting" or
"Validation..." Any advice on where to look for this link or break it from
it's source to prevent the pop up message?

Synapsless

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You probably havve to copy each worksheet to a new worksheet one att a time.
After each worksheet open and close the new worksheet until you find the
problem worksheet. You may never find the problem. I never did. It could
be buried inside of excel where file in a place that can't be changed!

"Synapsless" wrote:

I copied a sheet from another workbook as "Values Only". When I open the
workbook now I get a message "Workbook contains one or more links that connot
be updated". I can't seem to figure out where the links are in the workbook
and they do not pop up in my list of "Links..." I see no macros in the
workbook and I don't believe it would be in "Conditional Formatting" or
"Validation..." Any advice on where to look for this link or break it from
it's source to prevent the pop up message?

Synapsless

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ok, I took Dave's advice and downloaded the "Find Link" program. But first I
wanted to see if I could narrow down my search by taking your advice about
copying each sheet to a new workbook.

So I Moved (not copied) the first sheet to a "NEW" workbook, saved and close
both the old and the new. When I re-opened them they both had the problem.

Now I have to admit I may have done something rather dumb now that I think
about it. I'm using my PERSONAL.xls as my a sort of master workbook to
gather information from many other workbooks and keep myself apprised of the
current statistics as the other workbooks get updated by other users. I know
the links are good because they can't manipulate the sheets in any way, only
perform data entry.

So when I copied this other sheet from a workbook managed at our LA site I
think I brought some macro or something with it even though I didn't bring
any linked formulas on the sheet. And now it's stuck in my PERSONAL.xls and
I can't find it.
I messed it all up didn't I?

"Synapsless" wrote:

I copied a sheet from another workbook as "Values Only". When I open the
workbook now I get a message "Workbook contains one or more links that connot
be updated". I can't seem to figure out where the links are in the workbook
and they do not pop up in my list of "Links..." I see no macros in the
workbook and I don't believe it would be in "Conditional Formatting" or
"Validation..." Any advice on where to look for this link or break it from
it's source to prevent the pop up message?

Synapsless

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave,

Thank you so much, this worked quite well. I discovered my problem was
hidden in hidden names and had to use Jan Karel Pieterse' NameManager Program
at
http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm
With the two programs together I was able to solve the problem.
So thanks to all of you.

Synapsless

Synapsless wrote:

I copied a sheet from another workbook as "Values Only". When I open the
workbook now I get a message "Workbook contains one or more links that connot
be updated". I can't seem to figure out where the links are in the workbook
and they do not pop up in my list of "Links..." I see no macros in the
workbook and I don't believe it would be in "Conditional Formatting" or
"Validation..." Any advice on where to look for this link or break it from
it's source to prevent the pop up message?

Synapsless

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Oh Bummer! I came back into work this morning and all the problem was back.
I had to open the Name Manager and delete all the names again. Is it
possible the names have gotten into my PERSONAL.xls file? I have "view hidden
files" checked, but I can't seem to see the file in the location that the
Name Manager says that it is.

I'm stuck again.

Synapsless

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Two very nice utilities!

Synapsless wrote:

I copied a sheet from another workbook as "Values Only". When I open the
workbook now I get a message "Workbook contains one or more links that connot
be updated". I can't seem to figure out where the links are in the workbook
and they do not pop up in my list of "Links..." I see no macros in the
workbook and I don't believe it would be in "Conditional Formatting" or
"Validation..." Any advice on where to look for this link or break it from
it's source to prevent the pop up message?

Synapsless

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My first thought is that you didn't save after you deleted the names--or you
missed them. Names don't just travel across workbooks. Do you have any macros
that you run that does any copying of worksheets (or inserts names)????

Synapsless wrote:

Oh Bummer! I came back into work this morning and all the problem was back.
I had to open the Name Manager and delete all the names again. Is it
possible the names have gotten into my PERSONAL.xls file? I have "view hidden
files" checked, but I can't seem to see the file in the location that the
Name Manager says that it is.

I'm stuck again.

Synapsless

"Dave Peterson" wrote: