Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default creating drop boxes help

I am trying to create codes into a drop box (I figured out how to do this in
the data validation tab) and have these codes appear as a number in another
cell. does this make sense, and can this be done? Please Help!!!

Thank You!!!!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Not quite clear what you want to do here? Do you for example want to use
data validation in say cell G5, but then you want whatever you selected there
to also appear in say cell K1?
If so, reference G5 in K1 - =$G$5, or if the value in G5 is text, =$G$5+0

Bear in mind that every time you select a different value in G5, K1 will
change accordingly.

If not this, then I suggest you give us an inkling on what it is that you
want to achieve. In that way you will get a much more pertinent answer!
--
Hth

Kassie Kasselman
Change xxx to hotmail

"Ashley" wrote:

I am trying to create codes into a drop box (I figured out how to do this in
the data validation tab) and have these codes appear as a number in another
cell. does this make sense, and can this be done? Please Help!!!

Thank You!!!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I'm sorry... I am trying to create a list of codes that are all equal to
specific numbers. for example A10 code would need to appear in another
specified cell equal to .5. i have about 100 codes that I am trying to create
a drop box for and once the code is typed in I need the number that
represents that code to appear in the cell next to it, eventually adding the
numbers in the bottom of the worksheet. does this make more sense?

thanks again,
Ashley

"Ashley" wrote:

I am trying to create codes into a drop box (I figured out how to do this in
the data validation tab) and have these codes appear as a number in another
cell. does this make sense, and can this be done? Please Help!!!

Thank You!!!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi, If you draw up a list of codes, with their respondent values, you can use
VLOOKUP to insert the code value where you want. With the aid of the data
validation or drop box, you then insert the code itself, while the vlalue
will appear in the adjacent (or other) cell. Let's say your drop box is in
D5, and you want the value of the code in E5, and that you named the range
containing the codes and values CodeVal. Use =VLOOKUP(D5,CodeVal,2,0). To
create a range name, block the list, then in the address bar to the left of
the formula bar, type in the name you prefer and press <ENTER
--
Hth

Kassie Kasselman
Change xxx to hotmail