Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default default date format

When a enter a date in Excel 2003 it formats it (by default) as 22-Nov. The
short date regional setting in windows is 11/22/07. When I go to change the
date format the format that is highlighted is Custom dd-mmm. Any idea
where this comes from and how I can change it.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I think that when you include the year (even if it is only 2 digits) it will use Windows' short date format

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Kruppy" wrote in message ...
| When a enter a date in Excel 2003 it formats it (by default) as 22-Nov. The
| short date regional setting in windows is 11/22/07. When I go to change the
| date format the format that is highlighted is Custom dd-mmm. Any idea
| where this comes from and how I can change it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I usually like mm/dd/yyyy and I've given up fighting excel.

If a cell is going to contain a date, I'll do this:
ctrl-;
(to enter today's date--and change the format)
then type the new date.

Kruppy wrote:

When a enter a date in Excel 2003 it formats it (by default) as 22-Nov. The
short date regional setting in windows is 11/22/07. When I go to change the
date format the format that is highlighted is Custom dd-mmm. Any idea
where this comes from and how I can change it.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Nice one, Dave!
--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message ...
|I usually like mm/dd/yyyy and I've given up fighting excel.
|
| If a cell is going to contain a date, I'll do this:
| ctrl-;
| (to enter today's date--and change the format)
| then type the new date.
|

| Kruppy wrote:
|
| When a enter a date in Excel 2003 it formats it (by default) as 22-Nov. The
| short date regional setting in windows is 11/22/07. When I go to change the
| date format the format that is highlighted is Custom dd-mmm. Any idea
| where this comes from and how I can change it.
|
| --
|
| Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Well, lots of times, I enter the date, then hit ctrl-z to undo, then do those
steps. <vbg

It can be quicker than formatting the cell.

Niek Otten wrote:

Nice one, Dave!
--

--