Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Excel is Backwards!

I have a strange question. I have a user that is asking why her columns are
showing in reverse order. The number of the rows is displayed on the RIGHT,
and the far right column is A. This is Excel 2007, and it is a puzzle to me.
I've apparently missed the configuration option that selects "right to left"
or "left to right". So far as I know, she is not using any other language
option or other setting that would make that correct. Is there a way to
change it? Or better said, is there a way to make it display the way it
works for everyone else?

--
Thanks, Randy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi Bob, I don't think this will work in 2007 Excel, will it? There is no
"Tools" option on the menu bar, and the Options under the office button
doesn't have anything that looks like a International tab. It must be set
someplace else in this version. I tried looking at "international" and
"international settings" in help, and that didn't point to a revelant topic
either. I'm still stumped!
--
Thanks, Randy

"Randy Rich" wrote in message
I have a strange question. I have a user that is asking why her columns
are
showing in reverse order. The number of the rows is displayed on the
RIGHT,
and the far right column is A. This is Excel 2007, and it is a puzzle to
me.
I've apparently missed the configuration option that selects "right to
left"
or "left to right". So far as I know, she is not using any other language
option or other setting that would make that correct. Is there a way to
change it? Or better said, is there a way to make it display the way it
works for everyone else?

--
Thanks, Randy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Randy,

I couldn't find it anywhere in 2007 either.

But guess what, I right-clicked the left-most sheet when it was reversed,
and it flipped! Go figure!

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

ToolsOptionsInternational, and uncheck the 'View current sheet
right-to-left' box.

--
---
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Randy Rich" wrote in message
I have a strange question. I have a user that is asking why her columns
are
showing in reverse order. The number of the rows is displayed on the
RIGHT,
and the far right column is A. This is Excel 2007, and it is a puzzle
me.
I've apparently missed the configuration option that selects "right to
left"
or "left to right". So far as I know, she is not using any other
language
option or other setting that would make that correct. Is there a way
change it? Or better said, is there a way to make it display the way
it
works for everyone else?

--
Thanks, Randy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Thanks so much, Bob. My user reported all is well again after I sent your
message. However, she also reported she had the language set to Yiddish. I
guess that will teach me to never make assumptions regarding what settings
might have been used. It appears that when in the Yiddish mode, her text was
all in english so it didn't seem to make a difference. She freely admits
this was a PEBKAC error. Thanks so much for your efforts, though. I thought
I was losing it because I couldn't find any other setting that would make
that happen.
--
Thanks, Randy

"Randy Rich" wrote in message
I have a strange question. I have a user that is asking why her columns
are
showing in reverse order. The number of the rows is displayed on the
RIGHT,
and the far right column is A. This is Excel 2007, and it is a puzzle
me.
I've apparently missed the configuration option that selects "right to
left"
or "left to right". So far as I know, she is not using any other
language
option or other setting that would make that correct. Is there a way
change it? Or better said, is there a way to make it display the way
it
works for everyone else?

--
Thanks, Randy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Ron de Bruin reported that it was a setting in the Beta, but a buggy setting
which he reported. It seems they fixed the bug by removing the setting.
Although I could flip a 2003 worksheet that had been reversed, I haven't
been able to flip a new worksheet created in 2007 - yet!

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Randy Rich" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi Bob

Are you sure that you could flip a worksheet?
In an earlier posting you said
But guess what, I right-clicked the left-most sheet when it was
reversed, and it flipped! Go figure!

I think when you said the left most sheet, you actually clicked the
small icon which inserts a New sheet. This sheet is created in the
default Left to Right style.
I don't think Right to Left is supported in XL2007, or that you can flip
any sheets back again other than opening the Workbook in XL2003 or
lower, making the change and saving.

But then again, I may be wrong. I often am<g

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Randy,

I couldn't find it anywhere in 2007 either.

But guess what, I right-clicked the left-most sheet when it was
reversed,
and it flipped! Go figure!

--
---
HTH

Bob

(there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in
my addy)

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

No, I just tried it again Roger, and it still flips it without adding a new
sheet.

I agree that Right to Left doesn't seem to be supported as a feature in
XL2007, but this sheet was created in 2003 and I can flip it both ways.

Another odd thing about it is that when the tabs are on the right, I can
right-click both Sheet3 and Sheet2 and it flips, when on the left, only
Sheet1 flips it. And the menu pops-up as well.

And I am hurt that you think I would click the new sheet icon and think that
I am clicking a sheet tab :-(

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Randy Rich" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi Bob

And I am hurt that you think I would click the new sheet icon and
think that I am clicking a sheet tab :-(

Sorry Bob, no offence meant. Just judging others by my own
inadequacies<bg

At first I did click the add new sheet unintentionally, and it created
the new sheet in the correct format.
But, try as I might, I cannot get any "flipping" flips to occur with
left button, right button, holding down Shift, Alt or Control!!!!

I reckon MS give you MVP's special versions with extra tricks added
<vbg
My version XL2007 (12.0.4518.1014)