speakeztruth

Default new user with easy question? not easy for me

this may be very very simple but for some reason i cant understand
this.
i have many many rows of information, and i would like to calculate the
sums of say col 1, col 3, col 5, etc...but for each new row i dont want
to have to manually revise each cell to say sum(a1+c1+e1, etc...) and
then sum(a2+c2+e2, etc...)
for hundreds of rows, this is very tedious.
can someone help me?

--
speakeztruth
speakeztruth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24028

olasa

Here is one option:

To sum every second column
=SUMPRODUCT((A1:AA1)*(MOD(COLUMN(A1:AA1),2)))

To sum every second row
=SUMPRODUCT((A1:AA1)*(MOD(ROW(A1:AA1),2)))

Change 2 to 3 to sum every third row.

Hope it helped
Ola Sandström

--
olasa
olasa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17760

speakeztruth

by doing so ola, will it fix the problem of revising each result cell?
for example, instead of writing out my results cell formula as
sum(a1+b1+c1+d1...) for row 1 and then sum(a2+b2+c2+d2...) for row 2
and then sum(a3+b3+c3+d3...) for row 3...and so on. this is my main
problem. if you can help me with this, i would greatly appreciate
this.
thank you for the every other column solution.
thanks!

--
speakeztruth
speakeztruth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24028
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=376407

George Gee

speakeztruth

If the result of your formula for the first row is in say F1.
Make F1 the active cell.
Move your cursor to the bottom right of the cell, the cursor becomes a black
cross, drag this down to the next row, or down however many rows you wish
the formula to appear in.
This copies the formula, and automatically adjusts the references for that
row.

George Gee

*speakeztruth* has posted this message:

by doing so ola, will it fix the problem of revising each result cell?
for example, instead of writing out my results cell formula as
sum(a1+b1+c1+d1...) for row 1 and then sum(a2+b2+c2+d2...) for row 2
and then sum(a3+b3+c3+d3...) for row 3...and so on. this is my main
problem. if you can help me with this, i would greatly appreciate
this.
thank you for the every other column solution.
thanks!

--
speakeztruth
speakeztruth's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24028 View
this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=376407

olasa

If you want to sum Every cell, use =SUM(A1:AA1)
Ola

--
olasa
olasa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17760
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=376407

Bob Phillips

You never need SUM and +. At least you need

=SUM(A1,B1,...)

but when the cells are contiguous you can just specify the start and end
cell

=SUM(A1:M1)

or if you want the whole row

=SUM(1:1)