Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default updating concurrent data on a worksheet and adding new row

Hi.
I would like to log dates and data (eg temp). I have several functions I am
doing on the row of data and wish to update daily and add a new entry while
shifting down the previous entry (the whole row) for some delta comparisons.
I wish to log 365 days. I am a bit confused how to approach this and of the
right terms to use or search for and have come to you for some clues. I wish
to do all this in Excel without an external Database.
Thank you.
NB
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Suppose your first row has labels like "Date", "Temperature", "Humidify",
etc
You can type the date into the A cells using format such as 20/Jan (it will
be stored as a serial number and you can reformatted it in seconds without
retying.
To learn more about dates in Excel visit these sites
http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqDat.html
http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqDat.html

Now you add each day's data at the bottom of the worksheet.
But whenever you wish you can use Data | Sort to get the newest data at the
top.

Alternatively, each day right click the second row hearer (the "2") and use
Insert Row. This will let you add data at the top each day.

Wonder if I have answered your query?
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP
Hi.
I would like to log dates and data (eg temp). I have several functions I
am
doing on the row of data and wish to update daily and add a new entry
while
shifting down the previous entry (the whole row) for some delta
comparisons.
I wish to log 365 days. I am a bit confused how to approach this and of
the
right terms to use or search for and have come to you for some clues. I
wish
to do all this in Excel without an external Database.
Thank you.
NB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Bernard
I have a three digit entry for each day of the week. Max entries of 1000.
1001 goes to the bit bucket. Nested formulas articulate the three digits for
19 results in 19 columns.
Update will enter the next sequential date at column A , but first will
shift everything down.. Column B is for the three digits. Some results will
be delta from the previous day's entry in the new row at 1.
I want the most recent at the top and oldest at the bottom not to exceed
1000 entries. So I need to find out if there is way I can begin a new entry
with one keystroke to prompt me for the three digits while the whole mess
shifts down. I want to know how to enter at the TOP and not the bottom of the
sheet, that way it is easier for me to study trends, newest to oldest. I hope
to use some of this information on another sheet. This is an excel data sheet
with easy entry. I hope to update those other sheets too. Is there not a
shift down feature? I cannot find it. ,

.