Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Updating data from one worksheet to another

I've created an in-depth spreadsheet to organize information. I need to then
take a few columns of that information and put it into a more concise, easier
to sift through worksheet.

This list will be updated frequently. Is there any way I can create this
secondary list and have it automatically fill in information that is entered
into the first, more thorough list? I'm just trying to avoid entering things
twice and make it easier for the next person to use.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks Alta! That's exactly what I was looking for. A further question: The
columns I'll be placing in the summary sheet are spaced a few rows apart in
the primary list (there's information in those rows, but in separate
columns). These empty cells are filled in with 0's in my summary sheet. Is
there any way to adjust that without changing my primary sheets multi-row
design?

"AltaEgo" wrote:

1) Open your summary sheet.
2) Click on the cell where you want the summary to start.
3) Type '=' in the formula bar (without quotes)
4) Click your main sheet tab
5) Click the first value in the first column you want in the summary sheet
6) press enter.

After pressing [Enter] you should find yourself back in the summary sheet
with a cell containing a formula like =Sheet1!A1

Drag this down using the fill handle (or copy).

If your summary data are in adjacent columns you can drag (or copy) across.

--
Steve

"joe2017" wrote in message
I've created an in-depth spreadsheet to organize information. I need to
then
take a few columns of that information and put it into a more concise,
easier
to sift through worksheet.

This list will be updated frequently. Is there any way I can create this
secondary list and have it automatically fill in information that is
entered
into the first, more thorough list? I'm just trying to avoid entering
things
twice and make it easier for the next person to use.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I'm not quite sure what you want. However, you don't necessarily need to
have column A values all in a row in your summary. You can lay it out
however you want. The main aim of your summary sheet will be to group data
into logical groupings. For example, formula down column A1 to A8 in you
summary sheet might look as follows

=Sheet1!A1
=Sheet1!A2
=Sheet1!C3
(blank cell)
=Sheet1!C4
=Sheet1!C5
TOTAL
= A5+A6 (which add the Sheet1!C4 and Sheet1!C5 values)

HINT: try to perform your calculations in the summary sheet rather than your
raw data sheet. Example:

Total March Sales
=SUM(Sheet1!A1:A9)

--