Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Sort worksheet on multiple keys - Primary, secondary, tirterary, etc.

How do I specify the most important, next most important, the next most
important, etc. columns to sort on.
I assume when I do that the remaining columns will stay with their key
column????

Thanks,
Doug

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Best to have a look at Help on Sort a range.

You have to specify the sort priority yourself.

Sort by, then by, then by.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 16:46:03 -0500, "Doug Mc"
wrote:

How do I specify the most important, next most important, the next most
important, etc. columns to sort on.
I assume when I do that the remaining columns will stay with their key
column????

Thanks,
Doug

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I guess you did not read Help on sort a range.

Sort by 4 columns

Click a cell in the range you want to sort.
On the Data menu, click Sort.
In the first Sort by box click the column of least importance.
Click OK.
On the Data menu, click Sort.
In the Sort by and Then by boxes, click the other 3 columns you want to
sort, starting with the most important.
Select any other sort options you want, and then click OK.

Gord

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 18:14:29 -0500, "Doug Mc"
wrote:

Thanks Gord,
Do I sort the most important first or last?

.. .

wrote:

How do I specify the most important, next most important, the next most
important, etc. columns to sort on.
I assume when I do that the remaining columns will stay with their key
column????

Thanks,
Doug

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks Gord,
Lots of things I don't know - newbie for sure!

NEW SUBJECT:
I have four rows at the top of the page that contain titles of the
individual columns.
I want these to print on each page but I can't seem to do it.

Can you give me some hints here please?

wrote:

Thanks Gord,
Do I sort the most important first or last?

. ..

wrote:

How do I specify the most important, next most important, the next most
important, etc. columns to sort on.
I assume when I do that the remaining columns will stay with their key
column????

Thanks,
Doug

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Four rows or four columns with a title in row 1 of each column?

Page SetupSheetPrint TitlesRows to repeat at top.

Enter 1:1 or 1:4 or select those rows in the refedit dialog box.

Gord

wrote:

How do I specify the most important, next most important, the next most
important, etc. columns to sort on.
I assume when I do that the remaining columns will stay with their key
column????

Thanks,
Doug

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Gord,
I'm still having sort trouble:

This is the order of importance to me:
See the first line of the attachment.......

Precinct Number: (200), Street number: (2226) Street Name: (Arbor
Creek), Street Type: (DR)

But I can't get it to come out that way.
Will you go thru the steps one more time please?
Thanks again,

wrote:

How do I specify the most important, next most important, the next
most
important, etc. columns to sort on.
I assume when I do that the remaining columns will stay with their
key
column????

Thanks,
Doug

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I don't know what results you expect so can only reiterate the steps.

The help on sort a range states.

When sorting 4 columns, DataSortsort by least important first which is
sort by Street Type only.

After that you sort the next three in order of importance from greatest to
least.

DataSortSort by Precinct Number then by Street Number then by Street Name.

For clearer headers you would do better to have your header names in one
cell rather than two cells then you won't get confused by Number(1) and (2)
and Name(1) and (2)

i.e. Precinct Number in one cell..........Street Number in one cell.

Maybe you have to change your most important to least important around.

I would say Street Name before Street Number.

Gord

wrote:

Thanks Gord,
Do I sort the most important first or last?

om...

wrote:

How do I specify the most important, next most important, the next
most
important, etc. columns to sort on.
I assume when I do that the remaining columns will stay with their
key
column????

Thanks,
Doug

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

For the future.

It is generally frowned upon in these Excel news groups to post attachments
and you will get very who will open your attachment.

I'm foolhardy so did open it.

If you want to carry on with this off-line email your workbook to me at

gorddibbATshawDOTca

Gord

news:2ufsd59usf6a5q1cfj0qi7n14mdmg8g7d8@4ax. com...

wrote:

How do I specify the most important, next most important, the next
most
important, etc. columns to sort on.
I assume when I do that the remaining columns will stay with their
key
column????

Thanks,
Doug

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks.

Should have read "and you will get very FEW who will open your attachment."

Gord

news:4rfud5lca193vhjb13h4kuoijpraeaphe9@4ax. com...