Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Tim Tim is offline

Default how to indicate on chart which axis (primary or secondary) in use

Excel 2007.

How can i indicate on a chart which series is using which y-axis when I have
a secondary axis? For example I have several series on a line chart, some
using the primary axis and some using the secondary axis. If I use the legend
it bungs them all together with no indication which axis which line is using
- I can change their order in the legend but this doesn't really help. This
seems to be a fundemental flaw with the legend - how are you supposed to tell
what is happening on a chart when you have no idea which y-axis is used by
each line??? The only way I can see to do it is to get rid of the legend
(obviously a useful feature then!) and create my own legends out of text or
shape boxes.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

A number of ways.

You can label each axis to show which series are on that axis, and you may
be able to emphasise this with colour-coding the axis label & the format of
the relevant series.

The legend puts those series which are on the primary axis before the
secondary axis ones, and you can separate them by including a dummy series
between them (with, if you wish, invisible line and symbols, and a blank
series title).
--
David Biddulph