Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Updating line graphs automatically

I am new to creating graphs on excel - please help:

I have numerical data from cells A3 - A20 which is displayed graphically. If
I now insert a new row in A3 with a new data point, the graph does not
automatically update. Instead, the 'source data' now reads from cell A4 -
A21. How do I get the 'source data' to still read from A3 - A20, and drop the
value which now appaers in A21 (since I inserted a new row in A3)?
I have several of these graphs, and updating each one manually is not
practical.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Create a named range (eg: MyR1) via Insert Name Define
using INDIRECT to point to the range, viz:

MyR1 =INDIRECT("'Sheet1'!A3:A20")

Then apply the named range MyR1 into the chart's series formula,
something like this:
=SERIES(,,Test_Chart.xls!MyR1,1)
--
Max
Singapore
"Colin A" wrote:
I am new to creating graphs on excel - please help:

I have numerical data from cells A3 - A20 which is displayed graphically. If
I now insert a new row in A3 with a new data point, the graph does not
automatically update. Instead, the 'source data' now reads from cell A4 -
A21. How do I get the 'source data' to still read from A3 - A20, and drop the
value which now appaers in A21 (since I inserted a new row in A3)?
I have several of these graphs, and updating each one manually is not
practical.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,
It seems that the data is not in table. you first need to make a table of
your data for eg.
in Cell A1 (months) and cell B1 (Amount of expenditure in that month) now
when you put the data in this table and make a graphical presentation
selecting those cells then. Whenever you try to add or delete any data the
graph would represent the refreshed data as per the table.

Please write back if it is not solved this is for excel 2003. I can send you
the sample file for your reference.

--
Thanks
Suleman Peerzade

"Colin A" wrote:
I am new to creating graphs on excel - please help:

I have numerical data from cells A3 - A20 which is displayed graphically. If
I now insert a new row in A3 with a new data point, the graph does not
automatically update. Instead, the 'source data' now reads from cell A4 -
A21. How do I get the 'source data' to still read from A3 - A20, and drop the
value which now appaers in A21 (since I inserted a new row in A3)?
I have several of these graphs, and updating each one manually is not
practical.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

This is how Excel works. Either you insert a row a A4 or below, or you
start the plot range at A2.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Colin A" wrote:

I am new to creating graphs on excel - please help:

I have numerical data from cells A3 - A20 which is displayed graphically. If
I now insert a new row in A3 with a new data point, the graph does not
automatically update. Instead, the 'source data' now reads from cell A4 -
A21. How do I get the 'source data' to still read from A3 - A20, and drop the
value which now appaers in A21 (since I inserted a new row in A3)?
I have several of these graphs, and updating each one manually is not
practical.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Max

i followed your solution but it's not working in my Excel 2007. i
right-clicked chart to select "Select data", "Series1", "Edit", in Series
values, I put "=dynamicchart.xls!MyRange" (note: "dynamicchart" is my own
filename; "MyRange" is my own named range).

any help is much appreciated
--
exalan

"Colin A" wrote:
I am new to creating graphs on excel - please help:

I have numerical data from cells A3 - A20 which is displayed graphically. If
I now insert a new row in A3 with a new data point, the graph does not
automatically update. Instead, the 'source data' now reads from cell A4 -
A21. How do I get the 'source data' to still read from A3 - A20, and drop the
value which now appaers in A21 (since I inserted a new row in A3)?
I have several of these graphs, and updating each one manually is not
practical.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

Don't have xl2007 but here's a working sample in xl2003 to illustrate the
earlier:
http://freefilehosting.net/download/43gjg
Test_Chart.xls

Try it this way, click on the line series in the chart to see/amend the
SERIES formula in the formula bar as appropriate when adapting it.
--
"exalan" wrote:
Hi Max

i followed your solution but it's not working in my Excel 2007. i
right-clicked chart to select "Select data", "Series1", "Edit", in Series
values, I put "=dynamicchart.xls!MyRange" (note: "dynamicchart" is my own
filename; "MyRange" is my own named range).

any help is much appreciated
--
exalan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

thanks for the working sample, it's working now after correcting the syntax
in the named range from =INDIRECT(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$20) to
=INDIRECT("'Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$20")

many thanks again...
--
exalan