Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MLK MLK is offline

Default Graphs not updating

In one workbook, I have 66 graphs that get updated each month. There are 5
graphs displayed per tab.

To update the graphs each month, I update the links to the graph file and
then check all the graphs to ensure they have been updated before I save and
close the file.

However, when I reopen the graph file, I discover that some of the graphs
are no longer updated. Out of 66 graphs, only about 10 - 15 don't get
updated. I then update the links again and then all the graphs look good
again, so I save and close the file.

But once again I reopen the file and find still some more graphs no longer
updated, about 5-10 this time... this goes on and on until all the graphs
remain stable.

Can someone tell me what's going on and what can I do to fix it.

Thanks, Mary-Lou
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Mary-Lou,

I can't give you anything specific; only some things you might try. Are the
links to other workbooks?

In xl2007 under Options-Advanced go to section 'When Calculating this
workbook and ensure that Update links to other documents and Save External
links are checked. Also look up links in help and select 'Control when
external references (links) are updated'. There is a lot of info and
something there will very likely point you in the right direction.

In xl2002 (not sure about other versions but I think they are similar)
firstly Select Options-Tools-Calculation tab and make sure that 'Update
Remote References' and 'Save External Link Values' boxes are selected. You
should also look up links in help and again you might find the answer to your
problem.

I don't know if this will affect it but is it possible that others have the
workbooks open at the time you update the links and they are not saving with
changes when they close? Also are their options set to update links?

Hope you get something from this which will help you to overcome your problem.

Regards,

OssieMac

"MLK" wrote:

In one workbook, I have 66 graphs that get updated each month. There are 5
graphs displayed per tab.

To update the graphs each month, I update the links to the graph file and
then check all the graphs to ensure they have been updated before I save and
close the file.

However, when I reopen the graph file, I discover that some of the graphs
are no longer updated. Out of 66 graphs, only about 10 - 15 don't get
updated. I then update the links again and then all the graphs look good
again, so I save and close the file.

But once again I reopen the file and find still some more graphs no longer
updated, about 5-10 this time... this goes on and on until all the graphs
remain stable.

Can someone tell me what's going on and what can I do to fix it.

Thanks, Mary-Lou

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MLK MLK is offline

Hi,

Yes, the source is in another workbook. I will try your recommendations.

If worse comes to worse, I will try moving the source workbook into the
graph workbook and use macros to hide/unhide the tabs the users shouldn't
see.

Thanks for your help.