Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Formula Problem for Newbie - Please!

I have 4 columns : A1 is date; B1 is Advance; C1 is Deposit and D1 is
Total...
How do I do this formula so that D1 shows the total. The total column will
be in a negative because the Advances are more than the Deposits but I think
if I just insert the Advance with a - sign, this should work. Have spent an
hour trying to figure out this simple thing, so finally decided to ask for
help.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If the Advance are positive values use =C1-B1
Otherwise =C1+B1
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Terri" wrote in message
I have 4 columns : A1 is date; B1 is Advance; C1 is Deposit and D1 is
Total...
How do I do this formula so that D1 shows the total. The total column will
be in a negative because the Advances are more than the Deposits but I
think if I just insert the Advance with a - sign, this should work. Have
spent an hour trying to figure out this simple thing, so finally decided
to ask for help.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Bernard:

Where do I insert this formula and what do I highlight? I went to D and put
in =C1-B1 and nothing happens...sorry to be so ignorant.

"Terri" wrote in message
I have 4 columns : A1 is date; B1 is Advance; C1 is Deposit and D1 is
Total...
How do I do this formula so that D1 shows the total. The total column
will be in a negative because the Advances are more than the Deposits but
I think if I just insert the Advance with a - sign, this should work.
Have spent an hour trying to figure out this simple thing, so finally
decided to ask for help.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Nothing happened? You typed =C1-B1 in D1 and there were numbers in B1 and
C1?
What did you see? Did you see the formula? Or did you see 0?
I will send you a sample file and you can tell me what you see.
best wishes