Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bernard Liengme Bernard Liengme is offline

Default Formula Problem for Newbie - Please!

Nothing happened? You typed =C1-B1 in D1 and there were numbers in B1 and
C1?
What did you see? Did you see the formula? Or did you see 0?
I will send you a sample file and you can tell me what you see.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Terri" wrote in message
Bernard:

Where do I insert this formula and what do I highlight? I went to D and
put in =C1-B1 and nothing happens...sorry to be so ignorant.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote in message
If the Advance are positive values use =C1-B1
Otherwise =C1+B1
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
remove caps from email

"Terri" wrote in message
I have 4 columns : A1 is date; B1 is Advance; C1 is Deposit and D1 is
Total...
How do I do this formula so that D1 shows the total. The total column
will be in a negative because the Advances are more than the Deposits
but I think if I just insert the Advance with a - sign, this should
work. Have spent an hour trying to figure out this simple thing, so
finally decided to ask for help.
Thanks!