Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Dual Filter

Hi peeps.

I am seriously computer illiterate.

I have two columns in Excel. One shows names with only 7Y entered in one
column , and some have 7Y in the same column but also 7YY in another column.
How can I do a [presumably two pronged filter] and delete all the names with
entries in BOTH columns.

In other words I need to keep all the names with ONLY 7Y in the one column
.... [for mail merge later].

The list in Excelis not neat. There may be multiple entries for one name,
sometimes with NEITHER 7Y or 7YY and gaps between the names.

I can do this all manually ... but what are computers for???
Thanks for even considering,
Dave
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Select your table, then use Data / Filter.. AutoFilter.

From the drop down at the top of the first column with 7Y, choose "Custom", then use "Does not
equal" and enter 7Y.

This will show all the entries not equal to 7Y. Select the cells showing (but not the header row),
then use Edit / Go to... special "Visble Cells" and then rt-click, choose "Delete", entire row.

Then undo the filter by using the drop down and choosing "Show All",, then use the dropdown on the
other column, and select the value that you want to delete, again using the visible cells / entire
row delete routine.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"davec" wrote in message
Hi peeps.

I am seriously computer illiterate.

I have two columns in Excel. One shows names with only 7Y entered in one
column , and some have 7Y in the same column but also 7YY in another column.
How can I do a [presumably two pronged filter] and delete all the names with
entries in BOTH columns.

In other words I need to keep all the names with ONLY 7Y in the one column
... [for mail merge later].

The list in Excelis not neat. There may be multiple entries for one name,
sometimes with NEITHER 7Y or 7YY and gaps between the names.

I can do this all manually ... but what are computers for???
Thanks for even considering,
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Bernie ... thanks for your time.
I can't get it to work.

Here is a text copy of two names that appear in Excel.

BARWICK AND STOF BA22 ,
,Invoice , 4YY 7Y BARWICK
SCHOOL LUTON
,Payment BARWICK SCHOOL
LUTON
BAYNARDS PRIM CO5
,Invoice , 4YY 6YY 7Y BAYNARDS SCHOOL
KENT
,Invoice 4YY 6YY 7YY BAYNARDS SCHOOL
KENT
,Payment BAYNARDS SCHOOL KENT

I need to get rid of Baynards completely, and retain just Barwick ... which
needs to be reminded.

Should your fix still work? If so .. could you explain it again as if to a
moron please. Thanks.

Dave
"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

Select your table, then use Data / Filter.. AutoFilter.

From the drop down at the top of the first column with 7Y, choose "Custom", then use "Does not

"davec" wrote in message
Hi peeps.

I am seriously computer illiterate.

I have two columns in Excel. One shows names with only 7Y entered in one
column , and some have 7Y in the same column but also 7YY in another column.
How can I do a [presumably two pronged filter] and delete all the names with
entries in BOTH columns.

In other words I need to keep all the names with ONLY 7Y in the one column
... [for mail merge later].

The list in Excelis not neat. There may be multiple entries for one name,
sometimes with NEITHER 7Y or 7YY and gaps between the names.

I can do this all manually ... but what are computers for???
Thanks for even considering,
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Dave here again ... just looked at the post and it does not look at all like
it did in the message box! ... sorry. You probably can't make head nor tail
of it.

Barwick 4YY comes in column E and 7Y comes in column F

Dave

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

Select your table, then use Data / Filter.. AutoFilter.

From the drop down at the top of the first column with 7Y, choose "Custom", then use "Does not