Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Dual Filter

Select your table, then use Data / Filter.. AutoFilter.

From the drop down at the top of the first column with 7Y, choose "Custom", then use "Does not
equal" and enter 7Y.

This will show all the entries not equal to 7Y. Select the cells showing (but not the header row),
then use Edit / Go to... special "Visble Cells" and then rt-click, choose "Delete", entire row.

Then undo the filter by using the drop down and choosing "Show All",, then use the dropdown on the
other column, and select the value that you want to delete, again using the visible cells / entire
row delete routine.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"davec" wrote in message
Hi peeps.

I am seriously computer illiterate.

I have two columns in Excel. One shows names with only 7Y entered in one
column , and some have 7Y in the same column but also 7YY in another column.
How can I do a [presumably two pronged filter] and delete all the names with
entries in BOTH columns.

In other words I need to keep all the names with ONLY 7Y in the one column
... [for mail merge later].

The list in Excelis not neat. There may be multiple entries for one name,
sometimes with NEITHER 7Y or 7YY and gaps between the names.

I can do this all manually ... but what are computers for???
Thanks for even considering,
Dave