Scott@PRM

Default Dual Screens

I want to be able to click on a file to open it in Excel. Then when I click
on a second excel file. I want it to open in a second Excel session on my
second monitor. Is this possible, if so...how?

Thank you!
Harald Staff

You have too much money to spend on hardware, my friend ;-)
No, I don't think this is possible (without programming your own "excel
switchboard application" and assign that as default xls file handler). The
operating system will recognize the running instance of Excel and send the
file there, which is the desired behavior in almost all cases.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Scott@PRM" skrev i melding
I want to be able to click on a file to open it in Excel. Then when I

click
on a second excel file. I want it to open in a second Excel session on my
second monitor. Is this possible, if so...how?

Thank you!

FSt1

hi,
no. at least not the way you want. excel open multiple files within the same
session. to have 2 session of excel open you would have to open excel twice
then open a file in each session.
but why?!? 2 sessions of excel open would use twice the memory.

Regards
FSt1

"Scott@PRM" wrote:

I want to be able to click on a file to open it in Excel. Then when I click
on a second excel file. I want it to open in a second Excel session on my
second monitor. Is this possible, if so...how?

Thank you!

Dave Peterson

You could try:

Tools|options|General tab|Ignore other applications (check it)

Then double click on the workbook in windows explorer.

And be aware that turning this setting on sometimes gives errors with workbooks
that contain spaces in their path/name:

C:\my documents\excel\my book.xls

The error will look kind of like:
cannot find c:\my ..
then
cannot find documents\excel\my
then
cannot find book.xls

==
It may be easier/safer/more reliable to start the second instance and then
File|open the workbook.

And I just use another shortcut (placed on the desktop) to start that second
instance--

or I use Windows|start button|run
excel
and hit enter.

--

Dave Peterson
Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)

Scott@PRM wrote:
I want to be able to click on a file to open it in Excel. Then when I click
on a second excel file. I want it to open in a second Excel session on my
second monitor. Is this possible, if so...how?

Thank you!

What I typically do is drag my Excel session across both screens. Then you can
open both files in Excel and from Window/Arrange/Cascade you can see both files
at once. From there you can drag and stretch the windows to put one on each
monitor.

Not exactly what you want, but it gets to about the same end point.

Bill