ET

Default Dual x-axis (Part 2)

Jon,

For the monthly data; spacing it evenly over 26 bi-monthly pay periods means
a blank cell about every other cell. When this happens I cannot connect the
data points with a line. Anyway to get around this?
--
et

Subject: Dual x-axis 6/14/2005 5:18 PM PST

By: Jon Peltier In: microsoft.public.excel.charting

When you make a chart and assign a series to the secondary axis, Excel
generally just gives you a secondary Y axis. To get the secondary X
axis, make sure a series is on the secondary axis, then go to Chart
Options on the Chart menu, Axes tab, and check and uncheck the various
axes you need.

Don't waste your time by the way with the custom built-in charts. Make
your own chart from scratch, and you'll have much better control over
it. Plot all the data as one chart type on the primary axis. Select each
series you want to switch. To switch axis, double click on the series,
and choose the axis you want on the Axis tab. To change the chart type
(in case you want to mix column and line, for instance), select the
series and use Chart Type on the Chart menu.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

ET wrote:

I have tried to use custom charts to create a bar or line chart with 2 x-axis
where the x-axis are different. I want to chart 26 bi-monthly pay periods
(cost) and also show monthly employee levels (to make it simple, numbers of
employees) on the same chart. Is it possible to have 2 x-axis, bi-monthly
and monthly (and y-axis, cost and employee count) on one chart?

ET

Jon,

I was able to do this by holding down the control key and selecting cells
individually. Thank you,

--
et

ET wrote:

I have tried to use custom charts to create a bar or line chart with 2 x-axis
where the x-axis are different. I want to chart 26 bi-monthly pay periods
(cost) and also show monthly employee levels (to make it simple, numbers of
employees) on the same chart. Is it possible to have 2 x-axis, bi-monthly
and monthly (and y-axis, cost and employee count) on one chart?

Jon Peltier

A third option, if the cells appear blank because a formula returns "",
change "" to NA() in the formula. The cell contains the #N/A error, but
the points will be connected by the line.

- Jon
-------