Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Windows SOE

Hi

I run W2K with Excel 2K

Not sure this is the correct place to raise this question but here goes. I
have an excel file on a network drive. When I try to access it and someone
else is using it I get a message telling me the ID of who has the file open
(eg: File is locked for editing by USER). I can then contact this person and
ask them to close it, no problem there.

However I sometimes get a message saying that the file is "Locked for
editing by Windows SOE"

This means I have no idea who has the file open....can anyone tell me why
this might occur?

Thanks

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Here SOE probably means Standard Operating Environment. It may mean the some
Windows or network function is using the file (perhaps for backup purposes).

If this persists, see you network admin.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200744

"John Calder" wrote:

Hi

I run W2K with Excel 2K

Not sure this is the correct place to raise this question but here goes. I
have an excel file on a network drive. When I try to access it and someone
else is using it I get a message telling me the ID of who has the file open
(eg: File is locked for editing by USER). I can then contact this person and
ask them to close it, no problem there.

However I sometimes get a message saying that the file is "Locked for
editing by Windows SOE"

This means I have no idea who has the file open....can anyone tell me why
this might occur?

Thanks

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

I would look through the security and sharing properties of the file. I may
be a permission issue.It also important to see the security and sharing
properties of the folder where the file resides