Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Andrew

Default Hyperlinks do not work on local machine.

I have a folder with pictures and another folder with Excell spreadsheet in
which I have hyperlinks defined to the pictures in the pictures folder. I am
using Office 2003. I am experiencing a very strange behaviour:

a) I can open my Excell file from two other computers on my network and when
I click on hyperlink the pictures they display O.K. I can also add new
hyperlinks pointing to the pictures and again they work fine.

b) when I open the same Excell file on my local computer and try to click on
the same hyperlink nothing happens - no errors no pictures displayed

c) again on my local computer5, when I try to add a new hyperlink in the
same spreadsheet pointing to the same folders with pictures it seems to
define it correctly, but when I click on hyperlink, nothing happens again
(no errors and the picture does not display correctly)

What could be causing this problem?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
ch

"Andrew" wrote in
:

[...]

Can you map your local drive to have the same drive ltr as the
networked drives?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Andrew

When I open the Excell document on my networked computers I do it through
the full network name as I do not have it mapped to a network drive ...

Here is however another piece of information. I created a brand new excell
document on my local compueter and just inserted one hyperlink to one of my
pictures (all on local computer). When I click on my hyperlink it works ...
however as soon as I save my Excell document and re-open it, my hyperlink
stops working ....

Andrew

"ch" wrote in message
"Andrew" wrote in
:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Bill Manville

Try

File / Properties / Summary / Hyperlink Base /
\\Nonexistent server\Nonexistent folder
and let us know if that helps (especially with hyperlinks subsequently
created in that workbook)

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Andrew

Thanks Bill. I tried your suggestion but it does not seem to change
anything...

Here is a very strange thing. In my spreadsheet I have some cells that work
and others that do not. Both seem to be pointing to the same folder and when
I go to "hyperlink edit" they show file location in the same format:

.../Flood%202005%20Pictures/September%202%20Oak%20Bar%20Demo/Flood%202005%20007.jpg

The working one was in the spreadsheet before I think (I believe that the
original spreadsheet was created using version 2000). The one that is not
working was created recently.

Also if I "edit hyperlink" of the working one and repoint to the same
picture in the same folder, the link stops working.... doesn't show any
error message... nothing ....

Andrew

"Bill Manville" wrote in message
Try

File / Properties / Summary / Hyperlink Base /
\\Nonexistent server\Nonexistent folder
and let us know if that helps (especially with hyperlinks subsequently
created in that workbook)

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Bill Manville

Maybe this MSKB article will help you understand what's going on

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328440/en-us

or this one:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917689/en-us

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
Andrew

Thank you Bill. It looks like a combination of installing service pack 2 and
suggested registry entry fixed the problem.

Andrew

"Bill Manville" wrote in message
Maybe this MSKB article will help you understand what's going on

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328440/en-us

or this one:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917689/en-us

Bill Manville