Junior Member

Location: KENTUCKY
Default Linking 2 Worsheets

I have 2 worksheets in a work book. One is a list of over 7000 assests that we need to inspect. The other worksheet is the information that will be collected on the assest when it is inspected. I would like for the user to be able to bring up the inspection sheet and for them to be able to enter the information into a certain block (ex. Assest number, date of inspection, name of inspector, etc...) and for that to link to the list of the 7000 assests and select the assest being inspected and save the data collected into the appropiate cell for each assest and then save this information from day to day. The instance if the inspector was at assest number 2500, he would only need to carry his laptop and bring up the inspection sheet fill in the information and it automatically save to the assest instead of filling out a hard copy of the sheet and then bringing it in for someone else to enter in the computer one cell at a time.

Thanks,

Mike
Bill Manville

If I have understood you correctly, you want someone to be able to
enter data onto one sheet and then have it stored in a relevant row on
another sheet.

This cannot be done with links.
You will need to write a macro to find the appropriate row and copy the
information.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Junior Member

Location: KENTUCKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Manville
If I have understood you correctly, you want someone to be able to
enter data onto one sheet and then have it stored in a relevant row on
another sheet.

This cannot be done with links.
You will need to write a macro to find the appropriate row and copy the
information.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

I have never written a macro! Where is a good place to start?

Mike_C
Bill Manville

Tools / Macro / Record New Macro
can give you some insights, but what you are seeking to do is not
trivial to learn via the macro recorder.

If you ahve time, work through Microsoft Excel N VBA Step by Step, by
Reed Jacobson. Then if you get stuck on a particular point, try the
Programming newsgroup.