Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
OcalaElaine

Default How do I convert cubic centimeters to ounces in Excel?

I need to creat a chart that starts out with measurements in cubic
centimeters and need a formula to convert to ounces when there are enough cc
to equal an ounce.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK

But cubic centimeters are a measure of volume and ounce is a measure of
weight. The conversion will depend on the density of the liquid you are
using - is this water?

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lewis Clark

The conversion factor is: 1 fluid ounce = 29.57353 cubic centimeters

If your volume in cc's is in Cell A1, then in cell B1 type:

=IF(A129.57353, ROUND(A1/29.57353,3)&" ounces",A1&" cc's")

Note that this will round the number of ounces to 3 decimal places. You can adjust this as necessary.

--

"OcalaElaine" wrote in message ...
I need to creat a chart that starts out with measurements in cubic
centimeters and need a formula to convert to ounces when there are enough cc
to equal an ounce.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernard Liengme

No Pete, the ounce is(was) also a volume measurement.
In Imperial there were 20 oz to a pint; in US there are only 16.
And the oz has different size - Hail to metric!

Excel lets you convert litres (1000 cc) to pints
So this will work for US ounces =CONVERT(A1/1000,"lt","pt")*16
Or for UK =CONVERT(A1/1000,"lt","uk_pt")*20

On the other hand, if in Google you type "cc to ounce" Google tells you:
1 cc = 0.0338140226 US fluid ounces (my what precision!)

SO we could use =A1*0.0338140226 or better yet =ROUND(A1*0.033814,2)

Excel and Google do not quite agree: Excel converts 1000cc to 33.80667 US oz
while Google's value give 33.81402. A 0.02% difference will not ruin the
cake!

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Pete_UK" wrote in message
oups.com...
But cubic centimeters are a measure of volume and ounce is a measure of
weight. The conversion will depend on the density of the liquid you are
using - is this water?

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
OcalaElaine

Its dye and fluid ounces. No sure why it is done this way but its an
entrenched habbit now and no one wants to change. They just want a chart so
they do not have to spend the time to calclate. Since 30 cc = 1 fluid ounce,
when the measurement gets to 30 cc I want to show 1 oz. When measurement is
33 cc I want to show 1 oz 3 cc. Crazy huh! I so appreciate any help Pete.

"Pete_UK" wrote:

But cubic centimeters are a measure of volume and ounce is a measure of
weight. The conversion will depend on the density of the liquid you are
using - is this water?

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
OcalaElaine

This is so close. I can see I need to be much more specific with what I am
trying to do. Your formula works just great but I need the number of ounces
plus the number of cc's when it gets over an ounce. If I knew Excel better I
could probably figure out what to do next, but, alas.... Thanks for much for
your help.

"Lewis Clark" wrote:

The conversion factor is: 1 fluid ounce = 29.57353 cubic centimeters

If your volume in cc's is in Cell A1, then in cell B1 type:

=IF(A129.57353, ROUND(A1/29.57353,3)&" ounces",A1&" cc's")

Note that this will round the number of ounces to 3 decimal places. You can adjust this as necessary.

--

"OcalaElaine" wrote in message ...
I need to creat a chart that starts out with measurements in cubic
centimeters and need a formula to convert to ounces when there are enough cc
to equal an ounce

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bernard Liengme

Do you mean you want an integer (whole number) value for ounces ?
Cell A1 has number of cc (say 345)
Cell B1 has formula =INT(A1/29.57353 ) and tells the whole number of ounces
( here 11)
Cell C1 has formula =A1-INT(B1*29.57353) and tells how many cc's are need in
addition to the ounces (in this case 20)
Cell D1 has formula =INT(A1/29.57353)&" oz "&A1-INT(B1*29.57353)&" cc"
and it displays 11 oz 20 cc
Any help?
I'd love to know why you are mixed units from the US and the SI systems!
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Lewis Clark" wrote:

The conversion factor is: 1 fluid ounce = 29.57353 cubic centimeters

If your volume in cc's is in Cell A1, then in cell B1 type:

=IF(A129.57353, ROUND(A1/29.57353,3)&" ounces",A1&" cc's")

Note that this will round the number of ounces to 3 decimal places. You
can adjust this as necessary.

--

"OcalaElaine" wrote in message
I need to creat a chart that starts out with measurements in cubic
centimeters and need a formula to convert to ounces when there are enough
cc
to equal an ounce

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sandy Mann

"Bernard Liengme" wrote in message
I'd love to know why you are mixed units from the US and the SI systems!

Reminds me of a cartoon I saw once with a man standing in a builder's yard
saying, "Well that's 30 metres of 2 by 4 then" <g

--

Sandy

with @tiscali.co.uk