Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
KCG

Default How to name cells using same name yet specific to worksheet in Exc

How do I name a cell (e.g. StockPrice) on one worksheet (e.g. Worksheet A) in
an Excel file and reference it on that same sheet, then name another cell on
a different worksheet (e.g. Worksheet B) within the same Excel file with the
same StockPrice name and be able to reference it on the new sheet independent
of Worksheet A? Looking for a way to worksheet specifically name cells so
that I can reuse the same name on several worksheets and references to that
name will only link to the name on that specific worksheet unless specified
otherwise. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MartinW

If I'm understanding you correctly all you have to do is put the name of the
worksheet and an ! in front of your cell reference, i.e.

=Worksheet B!D5

will reference cell D5 in Worksheet B

HTH

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David McRitchie

on the other hand if the question was referring to "Defined Name"
you can have only one Defined Name with the same name in a workbook.

Any attempt to place a sheetname in front of the defined name will
get converted to the bookname.

You can have the same defined name in different workbooks
and include the workbook name before the exclamation point
if not in the same workbook.

value of A1 on sheet1 is 22 and has a defined name of _A1
value of A1 on sheet2 is 3

value formula as shown on Sheet2 for cells A1:A4
3 3
22 =_A1
22 =defined_name_2006_0313.xls!_A1
19 =_A1 - A1