Philippe L. Balmanno

Default Double Lookups

Excel 2002:
Help please, I'm trying to do a double lookup. I have two sheets labeled
"CERS" and "UAS Compound Factor". CERS will have two values to lookup in
the UAS Compound Factor sheet; one a value in a row and the other a value in
a column. The problem is that the formula returns an #N/A error when there
is a value in the cell that is cross referenced.

I'm using a formula similar to Chip Pearsons example at:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/lookups.htm

My formula is:
=OFFSET('UAS Compound Factor'!A5,MATCH(CERS!L53,'UAS Compound
Factor'!A6:A105,0),MATCH(CERS!L54,'UAS Compound Factor'!B5:AL5,0))

UAS Compound Factor'!A5 = n -- Base Cell
CERS!L53 = 54 -- n value to look up
UAS Compound Factor'!A6:A105,0 -- brings back cell A59 where 54 is found
CERS!L54 = 1.5% -- i value to lookup
'UAS Compound Factor'!B5:AL5,0 -- brings back cell D5 where 1.5% is found

The expected value should be the intersection of A59 and D5 which is 82.295
instead I get a #N/A.

UAS Compound Factor = Uniformed Annual Series Compound Factor = [(1+i)n-1]/i

Thanks in advance,

JulieD

Hi Philippe

i've set up a workbook based on your formula and it works fine for me ...
the only thing i can suggest is that you click on the cell containing the
formula and use tools / formula auditing and evaluate formula to step
through the formula to see where the problem is occuring.

Cheers
JulieD

"Philippe L. Balmanno" wrote in message
[...]

duane

=OFFSET('UAS Compound Factor'!A5,MATCH(CERS!L53,'UAS Compound
Factor'!A6:A105,0),MATCH(CERS!L54,'UAS Compound Factor'!B5:AL5,0))

isn't this formula finding the value in a cell defined as

1) start at a5
2) find the position of the exact l53 value in a6:a105 and go down that
number of rows
3) find the position of the exact l54 value in b5:al5 and go up that
number of columns

presumably the value of l54 exists in a6:a105 and l53 exists in
b5:al5?

Is a coincidence that you expect the value of 54 to be in row 59 (54
than 5)?

--
duane

duane's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=11624
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=277267

Philippe L. Balmanno

In this case the array starts at A5 (5+54=59) therefore A59 is the row I
need.

The error is in the column value. It was a product of a formula
=1.25%+.25%=1.5%. The Offset Match formula doesn't like looking for the
product of a formula but rather a value because it determined that this
product can change if another factor is changed. Once I entered 1.5% in the
cell my Offset formula worked.

"duane" wrote in message

=OFFSET('UAS Compound Factor'!A5,MATCH(CERS!L53,'UAS Compound
Factor'!A6:A105,0),MATCH(CERS!L54,'UAS Compound Factor'!B5:AL5,0))

isn't this formula finding the value in a cell defined as

1) start at a5
2) find the position of the exact l53 value in a6:a105 and go down that
number of rows
3) find the position of the exact l54 value in b5:al5 and go up that
number of columns

presumably the value of l54 exists in a6:a105 and l53 exists in
b5:al5?

Is a coincidence that you expect the value of 54 to be in row 59 (54
than 5)?

--
duane

duane's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=277267

Max

"Philippe L. Balmanno" wrote
The error is in the column value. It was a product of a formula
=1.25%+.25%=1.5%. The Offset Match formula doesn't like looking for the
product of a formula but rather a value because it determined that this
product can change if another factor is changed. Once I entered 1.5% in

the
cell my Offset formula worked.

Think it's because the MATCH() with "zero" as match type
is looking for an exact match. As the lookup value is a product of
a formula, the calculated value may not exactly match
that in the lookup col/row.

Try using ROUND() on the lookup value to improve matching,
viz.: use ROUND(CERS!L53,4) and ROUND(CERS!L54,4)

So this might work:

=OFFSET('UAS Compound Factor'!A5,MATCH(ROUND(CERS!L53,4),'UAS Compound
Factor'!A6:A105,0),MATCH(ROUND(CERS!L54,4),'UAS Compound Factor'!B5:AL5,0))

--
Rgds
Max

Philippe L. Balmanno

Yes, thanks.

Using the evaluate formula tool, It complained that there was a formula that
could change when the sheet was recalculated. I looked at the column
headings as I knew I used a formula to get those values and determined that
the problem was that my 1.5% (column heading) was the problem. My column
heading (1.5%) is a product of a formula and the offset match formula
prefers the actual value rather than the product of a formula. Once I fixed
this the formula worked. I will be trying out Max's suggestion although
rounding isn't the problem as the product is a solid value of 1.5% but this
may lead to a possible way to use a formula's product in the match.

"duane" wrote in message

=OFFSET('UAS Compound Factor'!A5,MATCH(CERS!L53,'UAS Compound
Factor'!A6:A105,0),MATCH(CERS!L54,'UAS Compound Factor'!B5:AL5,0))

isn't this formula finding the value in a cell defined as

1) start at a5
2) find the position of the exact l53 value in a6:a105 and go down that
number of rows
3) find the position of the exact l54 value in b5:al5 and go up that
number of columns

presumably the value of l54 exists in a6:a105 and l53 exists in
b5:al5?

Is a coincidence that you expect the value of 54 to be in row 59 (54
than 5)?

--
duane

duane's Profile:
View this thread:

JulieD

Hi Max

do you know how long it took me to find out you were in singapore .. you
think there would be lots of long & lat calculators on the web wouldn't you!

Cheers
JulieD
31:50:00S 116:10:00E

Max

You didn't use Excel? <bg

Something like
: = VLOOKUP(LatnLong,WorldCityLatnLong,2,0)
would have returned the result immediately, hah!

Sorry, didn't mean to make it tough to unravel
but sometimes good to retain some mystique, eh? <g
--
Rgds
Max
"JulieD" wrote in message
Hi Max

do you know how long it took me to find out you were in singapore .. you
think there would be lots of long & lat calculators on the web wouldn't

you!

Cheers
JulieD
31:50:00S 116:10:00E

Philippe L. Balmanno

I thought Sinapore was at GMT 8, 1° 16' N 103° 51' E.
I know you're 5 minutes north and 6 minutes east of the center of
Sinagapore. Isn't GPS a neat tool, I use it a lot in canyons here. GMT -8,
32° 42' N 117° 9' W

"JulieD" wrote in message
Hi Max

do you know how long it took me to find out you were in singapore .. you
think there would be lots of long & lat calculators on the web wouldn't

you!

Cheers
JulieD
31:50:00S 116:10:00E

Max

"Philippe L. Balmanno" wrote
I thought Singapore was at GMT 8, 1° 16' N 103° 51' E.
I know you're 5 minutes north and 6 minutes east of the center of
Singapore. Isn't GPS a neat tool, I use it a lot in canyons here. GMT -8,
32° 42' N 117° 9' W

The coords were approx, pre-GPS days <g

Isn't GPS a neat tool ..

yes .. here's looking at where you are