H00tenanny

Default Isolating Email addresses

I've got a list in excel that has email addresses, but each cell also
has other information. There are thousands, and I don't want to edit
each cell. Is there a formula that recognizes the address only
/net, etc., or am I stuck editing each one out?

Thanks for your time.

--
H00tenanny
H00tenanny's Profile:

Anne Troy

What does the data look like? Perhaps you can use the Data--Text to Columns
feature.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"H00tenanny" wrote
in message ...

I've got a list in excel that has email addresses, but each cell also
has other information. There are thousands, and I don't want to edit
each cell. Is there a formula that recognizes the address only
/net, etc., or am I stuck editing each one out?

Thanks for your time.

--
H00tenanny
H00tenanny's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=478528

Richard Buttrey

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 22:33:45 -0500, H00tenanny
wrote:

I've got a list in excel that has email addresses, but each cell also
has other information. There are thousands, and I don't want to edit
each cell. Is there a formula that recognizes the address only
/net, etc., or am I stuck editing each one out?

Thanks for your time.

Do the email addresses in the text string have a space at the
beginning and end of the address? If so it would be fairly trivial
matter to edit them out using a VBA macro.

If there was any unique character at the beginning and end of the
address then a combination of two or three text slicing functions
could achieve the same thing.

If either of these apply, please say and no doubt a solution can be
provided.

HTH

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________
H00tenanny

Thanks for your help. The Data Text funtion worked great!

A typical cell would contain (Sherry Holt) (Jan 7
96), Score = 1.000"

and some had < preceding the address and at the end with no spaces,
but that was easy to remove using the find and replace with nothing
function. Again, thanks, you've saved me loads of time!

--
H00tenanny
H00tenanny's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28287