Sue

Default sumproduct for latest date

I have literally typed in
=sumproduct(--(B2:B366=name),--(E2:E366<""),E2:E366)
but I am getting #NAME? error. I want cells in column D to read the client
name in column B and go to column E and find the latest finish date for that
person. Where am I going wrong with the above formula? Clients name can
appear on up to 5 rows scattered intermittently down the spreadsheet but only
one entry will have the finish date for that client and the rest will have
defaulted to 0 due to post linking from another workbook. Can anyone please
help. I have just this problem to go.
Thanks Sue.
B D
Client Names where latest finish date to be inserted Finish
dates

Biff

Hi!

=sumproduct(--(B2:B366="name"),E2:E366)

But use this instead:

=SUMIF(B2:B366,"Name",E2:E366)

Format cell as DATE

Biff

"Sue" wrote in message
[...]

Sue

Hi Biff,
Tried both suggestions but they both came back with 0/01/00 and I know the
finish date for client B2 in column E is 25/03/05. Column D is already
formated Date.
Can you help further?
Thanks Sue

Hi!

"Sue" wrote in message
[...]

Biff

Hi!

0/01/00 is a zero formatted as a date. So that means the result of the
formula was 0.

Column D is already formated Date.

I thought the dates were in column E? Anyhow, are you certain they're real
dates?

=ISNUMBER(E2)

Should return TRUE for real dates.

Are all the client names the same?

For example:

B2 = Jones

B50 = <spaceJones

B55 = Jones<space

You could try this:

=COUNTIF(B2:B366,"Jones")

Do you get the correct result?

=SUMIF(B2:B366,"Name",E2:E366)

This is a very basic formula and there's not too much that can cause a
problem. Either the dates aren't really dates and are just TEXT strings or
the client name entries don't all match.

Biff

"Sue" wrote in message
Hi Biff,
Tried both suggestions but they both came back with 0/01/00 and I know the
finish date for client B2 in column E is 25/03/05. Column D is already
formated Date.
Can you help further?
Thanks Sue

Hi!

"Sue" wrote in message
[...]

Sue

Hi Biff,
Sorry I thought you were refering to the receiving column having to be Date
formatted. But anyway both columns D and E are Date formatted.
Did the =ISNUMBER(E2) test and got True.
Did the =COUNTIF(B2:B366,"Bob Jones") and got 4 entries for that name which
was correct. Did a test on other names and got 3 and 5 which was also
correct.
The names are copied and pasted all the way through the other workbook and
therefore should be identical.
Did your =SUMIF(B2:B366,"Name",E2:E366) and got 0/01/00. I think it just
uses the first date it comes across for that person which of course will be a
0 or 0/01/00. I want it to look for a date greater than 0/01/00. Due to the
post linking, where there is no date from the other workbook, it means column
E defaults to 0 and with the column formated to Date, it becomes 0/01/00.
Could this be the reason and if so how do I alter the formula to look for a
date greater than 0/01/00.
Thanks Sue

"Sue" wrote in message
Hi Biff,
Tried both suggestions but they both came back with 0/01/00 and I know the
finish date for client B2 in column E is 25/03/05. Column D is already
formated Date.
Can you help further?
Thanks Sue

Hi!

"Sue" wrote in message
[...]

Bob Phillips

Try

=MAX(IF(B2:B366="Bob Jones",E2:E366))

which is an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Sue" wrote in message
Hi Biff,
Tried both suggestions but they both came back with 0/01/00 and I know

the
finish date for client B2 in column E is 25/03/05. Column D is

already
formated Date.
Can you help further?
Thanks Sue

Hi!

"Sue" wrote in message
[...]

Sue

Hi Bob,
You have cracked it. It works beautifully.
I substituted the name for the cell address as I won't know who is in that
name cell and it works great. Thanks so very much. I am too young to be
going grey yet but it was starting to happen.
Thanks again
Sue

"Sue" wrote in message
Hi Biff,
Tried both suggestions but they both came back with 0/01/00 and I know

the
finish date for client B2 in column E is 25/03/05. Column D is

already
formated Date.
Can you help further?
Thanks Sue

Hi!

"Sue" wrote in message
[...]

Sue

Hi Biff,
Thank you for your input and assitance. I really appreciate it.
Doing a great job! Problem now solved.
Sue

"Sue" wrote in message
Hi Biff,
Tried both suggestions but they both came back with 0/01/00 and I know the
finish date for client B2 in column E is 25/03/05. Column D is already
formated Date.
Can you help further?
Thanks Sue

Hi!

"Sue" wrote in message
[...]

Biff

Hi!

Glad you got it worked out!

I don't know why the SUMIF didn't work, it should have! I too, was going to
suggest MAX IF as a last resort but it's a bit of "overkill". But hey, if
it's working.......

Biff

"Sue" wrote in message
Hi Biff,
Tried both suggestions but they both came back with 0/01/00 and I know
the
finish date for client B2 in column E is 25/03/05. Column D is already
formated Date.
Can you help further?
Thanks Sue

Hi!