Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Getting 2 different answers for simple count

Hey everyone,

Excel 2007 - this one is TOTALLY baffling me. I have almost 13000 records.
Performed a simple filter on one column that just shows me the current
month's worth of data. On the bottom left in the status bar, is says 959
records found. In the AutoCalculate bar, it TOO says the Count is 959.
However, when i manually enter a COUNT function on the worksheet, IT tells me
there are 1085 records! What gives!??

I've very savvy with Excel and know I'm executing this formula correctly.
So why am I getting a different answer with the one I enter manually as
opposed to the ones it autocalcuates? Any help would be TREMENDOUSLY
appreciated. THANKS!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

when i manually enter a COUNT function

Did you use the SUBTOTAL function in your formula?

For filtered data you need to use SUBTOTAL.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Access Joe" wrote in message
Hey everyone,

Excel 2007 - this one is TOTALLY baffling me. I have almost 13000
records.
Performed a simple filter on one column that just shows me the current
month's worth of data. On the bottom left in the status bar, is says 959
records found. In the AutoCalculate bar, it TOO says the Count is 959.
However, when i manually enter a COUNT function on the worksheet, IT tells
me
there are 1085 records! What gives!??

I've very savvy with Excel and know I'm executing this formula correctly.
So why am I getting a different answer with the one I enter manually as
opposed to the ones it autocalcuates? Any help would be TREMENDOUSLY
appreciated. THANKS!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well I be darned. It worked. THANK YOU!

I've been using Excel for I can't tell you how long and NEVER knew I had to
use the Subtotal function for filtered data. Just out of curiosity since I
also teach people this application...WHY can't I use COUNT?

"Access Joe" wrote in message
Hey everyone,

Excel 2007 - this one is TOTALLY baffling me. I have almost 13000
records.
Performed a simple filter on one column that just shows me the current
month's worth of data. On the bottom left in the status bar, is says 959
records found. In the AutoCalculate bar, it TOO says the Count is 959.
However, when i manually enter a COUNT function on the worksheet, IT tells
me
there are 1085 records! What gives!??

I've very savvy with Excel and know I'm executing this formula correctly.
So why am I getting a different answer with the one I enter manually as
opposed to the ones it autocalcuates? Any help would be TREMENDOUSLY
appreciated. THANKS!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

COUNT will count everything in the range, whereas SUBTOTAL only uses
the displayed values - rows can be hidden by filtering or manually,
and SUBTOTAL will cope.

Check out Excel Help for the parameters that can be used with SUBTOTAL
- SUBTOTAL(9,range), for example will give you the SUM of the
displayed values in the range.

Hope this helps.

Pete

"Access Joe" wrote in message
Hey everyone,

Excel 2007 - this one is TOTALLY baffling me. *I have almost 13000
records.
Performed a simple filter on one column that just shows me the current
month's worth of data. *On the bottom left in the status bar, is says 959
records found. *In the AutoCalculate bar, it TOO says the Count is 959.
However, when i manually enter a COUNT function on the worksheet, IT tells
me
there are 1085 records! *What gives!??

I've very savvy with Excel and know I'm executing this formula correctly.
So why am I getting a different answer with the one I enter manually as
opposed to the ones it autocalcuates? *Any help would be TREMENDOUSLY
appreciated. *THANKS!- Hide quoted text -