Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Getting 2 different answers for simple count

COUNT will count everything in the range, whereas SUBTOTAL only uses
the displayed values - rows can be hidden by filtering or manually,
and SUBTOTAL will cope.

Check out Excel Help for the parameters that can be used with SUBTOTAL
- SUBTOTAL(9,range), for example will give you the SUM of the
displayed values in the range.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Sep 9, 12:50*pm, Access Joe
wrote:
Well I be darned. *It worked. *THANK YOU!

I've been using Excel for I can't tell you how long and NEVER knew I had to
use the Subtotal function for filtered data. *Just out of curiosity since I
also teach people this application...WHY can't I use COUNT?

"T. Valko" wrote:
when i manually enter a COUNT function

Did you use the SUBTOTAL function in your formula?

For filtered data you need to use SUBTOTAL.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Access Joe" wrote in message
Hey everyone,

Excel 2007 - this one is TOTALLY baffling me. *I have almost 13000
records.
Performed a simple filter on one column that just shows me the current
month's worth of data. *On the bottom left in the status bar, is says 959
records found. *In the AutoCalculate bar, it TOO says the Count is 959.
However, when i manually enter a COUNT function on the worksheet, IT tells
me
there are 1085 records! *What gives!??

I've very savvy with Excel and know I'm executing this formula correctly.
So why am I getting a different answer with the one I enter manually as
opposed to the ones it autocalcuates? *Any help would be TREMENDOUSLY
appreciated. *THANKS!- Hide quoted text -