Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Vlookup and #N/A

I have done plenty of vlookups in the past, but all of the sudden I am
getting stuck. I don't know what else to verify in order to correct the
issue. I am receiving an #N/A. I verified that the information is sorted
appropriately, there is actually information in the referenced cell, and I
have checked the formula. I'm not sure what else to check. Don't know if it
makes a different, but the worksheet it should be pulling from was created by
another inidividual and pasted in. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Example: =VLOOKUP(A2,Lite,2,FALSE)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes on troubleshooting =vlookup():
http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Trouble

If this doesn't help, you may want to share some of the data (and types of data)
that you're matching on--is it a number or text, a long string, date or time or
combination???

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

See this:

http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Trouble

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"kmap" wrote in message
I have done plenty of vlookups in the past, but all of the sudden I am
getting stuck. I don't know what else to verify in order to correct the
issue. I am receiving an #N/A. I verified that the information is sorted
appropriately, there is actually information in the referenced cell, and I
have checked the formula. I'm not sure what else to check. Don't know if
it
makes a different, but the worksheet it should be pulling from was created
by
another inidividual and pasted in. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Example: =VLOOKUP(A2,Lite,2,FALSE)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

When you use false in vlookup then there is no need to have a sorted
lookuprange.
2 things I can think off:
- Is Lite defined as the lookuprange?
- Perhaps you may have unvisible characters like space in the lookupvalue or
lookuprange.

Wkr,

JP

"kmap" wrote in message
I have done plenty of vlookups in the past, but all of the sudden I am
getting stuck. I don't know what else to verify in order to correct the
issue. I am receiving an #N/A. I verified that the information is sorted
appropriately, there is actually information in the referenced cell, and I
have checked the formula. I'm not sure what else to check. Don't know if
it
makes a different, but the worksheet it should be pulling from was created
by
another inidividual and pasted in. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Example: =VLOOKUP(A2,Lite,2,FALSE)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes, I believe this may be it. Is there a easy way to delete trailing spaces
after data. There are about 3 spaces after the data, I'm dealing with about
2000 rows...any quick fix? Thanks much!

"kmap" wrote:

I have done plenty of vlookups in the past, but all of the sudden I am
getting stuck. I don't know what else to verify in order to correct the
issue. I am receiving an #N/A. I verified that the information is sorted
appropriately, there is actually information in the referenced cell, and I
have checked the formula. I'm not sure what else to check. Don't know if it
makes a different, but the worksheet it should be pulling from was created by
another inidividual and pasted in. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Example: =VLOOKUP(A2,Lite,2,FALSE)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi K

Try Edit, Replace

Find <space
Replace 'nothing'

Wkr,

JP

"kmap" wrote:

I have done plenty of vlookups in the past, but all of the sudden I am
getting stuck. I don't know what else to verify in order to correct the
issue. I am receiving an #N/A. I verified that the information is
sorted
appropriately, there is actually information in the referenced cell,
and I
have checked the formula. I'm not sure what else to check. Don't know
if it
makes a different, but the worksheet it should be pulling from was
created by
another inidividual and pasted in. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Example: =VLOOKUP(A2,Lite,2,FALSE)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you have leading spaces you want to get rid of, too, you can use this
technique:

select the column to fix
data|text to columns (xl2003 menus)
Fixed width (but remove any lines that excel added!)
and finish up.

The leading and trailing spaces will be removed, but any multiple internal
spaces will be kept.

"kmap" wrote:

I have done plenty of vlookups in the past, but all of the sudden I am
getting stuck. I don't know what else to verify in order to correct the
issue. I am receiving an #N/A. I verified that the information is sorted
appropriately, there is actually information in the referenced cell, and I
have checked the formula. I'm not sure what else to check. Don't know if it
makes a different, but the worksheet it should be pulling from was created by
another inidividual and pasted in. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Example: =VLOOKUP(A2,Lite,2,FALSE)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 08:25:01 -0700, kmap
wrote:

I have done plenty of vlookups in the past, but all of the sudden I am
getting stuck. I don't know what else to verify in order to correct the
issue. I am receiving an #N/A. I verified that the information is sorted
appropriately, there is actually information in the referenced cell, and I
have checked the formula. I'm not sure what else to check. Don't know if it
makes a different, but the worksheet it should be pulling from was created by
another inidividual and pasted in. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Example: =VLOOKUP(A2,Lite,2,FALSE)

The lookup reference in A2 is what gets hunted for in the "Lite" array.

If it does not find a match, the failure will be in the first section
of the vlookup function, the reference or 'Lookup_value'.

If it is in the table array, look at your name manager under formulas
tab to insure that your named range is still being called correctly.

Lastly, make sure that the "A2" source and the lookup are "General"
format.

You *may* (should) also have to hand re-enter data contained in a cell
after a format change.