Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rae Rae is offline

Default Calculating the end date?

I want to create a test schedule. My knowns are the start_date and number of
days for each tester. So when I plug in the start_date it will automatically
adjust the start and end dates for each tester.

Tester 1 starts testing on 12/08/2008 and it will take him 3 business days
to test; tester 1 should be done testing by 12/11/2008 (calculated based on
start_date and number of business days).

Tester 2 can't start testing until Tester 1 has completed testing, so if
tester 1 is done by 12/11/2008 (this will be the start date for tester 2) and
tester 2 needs 15 business days to test. Tester 2 should be done testing by
12/31/2008 (calculated end date also excluding holidays).

And so forth.... I have 2 additional testers where the start date and end
date needs to be calculated based off of the original start date and the
number of business days.

Thank you,
Rae
(do not have the analysis toolpak that will allow me to use workday or
edate, but I don't think edate will work in this case since I am calculating
end dates)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Try this as an alternative

Start date in a1
Duration of task in A2

=A1+A2+CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(A1+A2),1,0,0,0,0,0,-1)

Mike

"Rae" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

See this for alternate formulas for the ATP functions:

http://www.dailydoseofexcel.com/arch...-addin-part-1/

You'll notice that some of them are very complex which is a good reason to
install the ATP!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Rae" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What if A1+A2 = a holiday?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Rae" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi,

Thanks for that.

I agree my answer is simplistic but didn't intend to consider holidays. The
OP didn't give a start date of a weekend that sets of the chain of testing
periods my formula returns the weekday I thought was being asked for.

Mike

"T. Valko" wrote:

What if A1+A2 = a holiday?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Rae" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Assuming your Start date is in A1 and the number of business days in B1, and
any company holidays are listed in G1:G4, then this is your formula:

=WORKDAY(A1,B1,G$1:G$4)

In 2003 you need to attach the Analysis ToolPak - Choose Tools, Add-ins and
check Analysis ToolPak
In 2007 nothing to do, this function is built into Excel.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Rae" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions