Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formatting Date not working

Hi everyone,

One one of our computers the date is not working. Usually when you format a
cell as a date, when you type in a date it will display it as the format.

This one computer keeps the text as text, not a date. I know I am typing
the date in, in a way that it will reconize it, but it is not switching it
over to a date.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Chad

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Have you looked at Windows Regional Settings (in Control Panel)?
Perhaps it is expecting dd/mm/yyyy and you are giving it mm/dd/yyyy, or vice
versa?

If you've got a lot of text already in there, you may be able to translate
it with Data/ Text to Columns, if you select the relevant date format
appropriate to your input data at the last stage of the wizard.
--
David Biddulph

"Chad" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

One one of our computers the date is not working. Usually when you format
a cell as a date, when you type in a date it will display it as the
format.

This one computer keeps the text as text, not a date. I know I am typing
the date in, in a way that it will reconize it, but it is not switching it
over to a date.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Chad

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks, but that is not the problem.

If I format the cell to be dd-mmm-yy. I type in a date like Oct. 20, 2008.
On my computer the cell shows 20-Oct-08, and the formula bar (not sure what
it is called) shows 20/10/2008.. On this other computer it shows Oct. 20,
2008 in the cell and in the formula bar.

It's as if excel has forgotten what a date looks like.

Your second part will not work because we are always typing in the date, and
it screws up when it gets entered automatically into the database.

Chad

"Chad" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

One one of our computers the date is not working. Usually when you
format a cell as a date, when you type in a date it will display it as
the format.

This one computer keeps the text as text, not a date. I know I am typing
the date in, in a way that it will reconize it, but it is not switching
it over to a date.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Chad

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi David,

I am sorry, you are correct. The regional settings wanted dd mmmm yyyy for
the long format. I was typing mmm dd yy. I changed the settings to mmmm dd
yyyy and now the text seems to work (somewhat). It is very very picky on
how you type the date, unlike my computer which I can specify almost
anything and it accepts it.

I am guessing it is because they just reinstalled 2000 and I noticed that
they didn't install the service packs. I am going to get that updated
tomorrow and hope that helps.

Thanks for your help and sorry for doubting you.