Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formatting Date not working

Thanks for letting us know, and glad to hear that you've found the
explanation.
--
David Biddulph

"Chad" wrote in message
Hi David,

I am sorry, you are correct. The regional settings wanted dd mmmm yyyy
for the long format. I was typing mmm dd yy. I changed the settings to
mmmm dd yyyy and now the text seems to work (somewhat). It is very very
picky on how you type the date, unlike my computer which I can specify
almost anything and it accepts it.

I am guessing it is because they just reinstalled 2000 and I noticed that
they didn't install the service packs. I am going to get that updated
tomorrow and hope that helps.

Thanks for your help and sorry for doubting you.
Chad

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote in message
Have you looked at Windows Regional Settings (in Control Panel)?
Perhaps it is expecting dd/mm/yyyy and you are giving it mm/dd/yyyy, or
vice versa?

If you've got a lot of text already in there, you may be able to
translate it with Data/ Text to Columns, if you select the relevant date
format appropriate to your input data at the last stage of the wizard.
--
David Biddulph

"Chad" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

One one of our computers the date is not working. Usually when you
format a cell as a date, when you type in a date it will display it as
the format.

This one computer keeps the text as text, not a date. I know I am
typing the date in, in a way that it will reconize it, but it is not
switching it over to a date.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Chad