Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel question

I have what I would think is a fairly simple function that I cannot get for
the life of me, if I am looking to write a formula on one spreadsheet using
the intersection of 2 values (actual words in this case) can I write a
formula that will search vertically for one of the words then search
horizontally for the other word and return the value of where these 2
searches meet? I have tried VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, MATCH and INDEX and am coming
up short, any help would be most appreciated!