-   -   Excel question (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/186880-excel-question.html)

dannyboy8

Excel question

I have what I would think is a fairly simple function that I cannot get for
the life of me, if I am looking to write a formula on one spreadsheet using
the intersection of 2 values (actual words in this case) can I write a
formula that will search vertically for one of the words then search
horizontally for the other word and return the value of where these 2
searches meet? I have tried VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, MATCH and INDEX and am coming
up short, any help would be most appreciated!

Peo Sjoblom

Excel question

=INDEX(A1:D20,MATCH(H1,A1:A20,0),MATCH(H2,A1:D1,0) )

adapt to fit

Peo Sjoblom

"dannyboy8" wrote in message
I have what I would think is a fairly simple function that I cannot get for
the life of me, if I am looking to write a formula on one spreadsheet
using
the intersection of 2 values (actual words in this case) can I write a
formula that will search vertically for one of the words then search
horizontally for the other word and return the value of where these 2
searches meet? I have tried VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, MATCH and INDEX and am
coming
up short, any help would be most appreciated!

dannyboy8

Excel question

Peo, in the match functions, can i use words i quotation marks as opposed to
a cell reference?

"dannyboy8" wrote in message
I have what I would think is a fairly simple function that I cannot get for
the life of me, if I am looking to write a formula on one spreadsheet
using
the intersection of 2 values (actual words in this case) can I write a
formula that will search vertically for one of the words then search
horizontally for the other word and return the value of where these 2
searches meet? I have tried VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, MATCH and INDEX and am
coming
up short, any help would be most appreciated!

Peo Sjoblom

Excel question

Yes

Peo Sjoblom

"dannyboy8" wrote in message
I have what I would think is a fairly simple function that I cannot get
for
the life of me, if I am looking to write a formula on one spreadsheet
using
the intersection of 2 values (actual words in this case) can I write a
formula that will search vertically for one of the words then search
horizontally for the other word and return the value of where these 2
searches meet? I have tried VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, MATCH and INDEX and am
coming
up short, any help would be most appreciated!

dannyboy8

Excel question

WORKS, THANKS!

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote: