Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default lookup with some specific characters

Hi All,

In one sheet I have names. for example - Michael Jackson and then some
information in the rest of the columns. In the other sheet I have the IDs
which is first initial and the last name without space. Example - MJACKSON.
I need to use VLOOKUP but i need to find this ID in the names and then
return the values from rest of the columns.

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming your main data is on Sheet1 (change the reference as required)
starting in Row 2 (Row 1 is assumed to be a header) and assuming the
worksheet where your IDs are has the ID Name in Column A starting in Row 2
also, then put this formula in Column B and copy across, then copy those all
down.

=INDEX(Sheet1!$A$2:$C12,ROW(Sheet1!$A$2)+MATCH(PRO PER(REPLACE($A2,2,0,"*
")),Sheet1!$A$2:$A12,0)-ROW(Sheet1!$A$2),COLUMN(Sheet1!B2))

Rick

"Gaurav" wrote in message
Hi All,

In one sheet I have names. for example - Michael Jackson and then some
information in the rest of the columns. In the other sheet I have the IDs
which is first initial and the last name without space. Example -
MJACKSON. I need to use VLOOKUP but i need to find this ID in the names
and then return the values from rest of the columns.

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Damn! The newsreader-breaks-at-spaces got me again. There is a single blank
space following that asterisk in the formula I posted.

Rick

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...

"Gaurav" wrote in message
Hi All,

In one sheet I have names. for example - Michael Jackson and then some
information in the rest of the columns. In the other sheet I have the IDs
which is first initial and the last name without space. Example -
MJACKSON. I need to use VLOOKUP but i need to find this ID in the names
and then return the values from rest of the columns.

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Can't see why you're using these:

ROW(Sheet1!$A$2)+
-ROW(Sheet1!$A$2)
PROPER(...)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Gaurav" wrote in message
Hi All,

In one sheet I have names. for example - Michael Jackson and then some
information in the rest of the columns. In the other sheet I have the IDs
which is first initial and the last name without space. Example -
MJACKSON. I need to use VLOOKUP but i need to find this ID in the names
and then return the values from rest of the columns.

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Now that I look at it again, I can't see why either.<g

Gaurav... if you are still following this thread, replace the formula I
originally posted with this one...

=INDEX(Sheet1!$A$2:$C12,MATCH(REPLACE($A2,2,0,"* "),
Sheet1!$A$2:$A12,0),COLUMN(Sheet1!B2))

Rick

"Gaurav" wrote in message
Hi All,

In one sheet I have names. for example - Michael Jackson and then some
information in the rest of the columns. In the other sheet I have the
IDs which is first initial and the last name without space. Example -
MJACKSON. I need to use VLOOKUP but i need to find this ID in the names
and then return the values from rest of the columns.

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Rick.

"T. Valko" wrote in message