Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
mshornet

Default find cells that contain specific characters

How do I find cells that contain specific characters and pull them out of a
long line of cells?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

What does: "pull them out of a long line of cells" mean?

Can you provide some examples?

Biff

"mshornet" wrote in message
How do I find cells that contain specific characters and pull them out of
long line of cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roland

Try using the funtionality found from the main menu Edit Find.

"mshornet" wrote:

How do I find cells that contain specific characters and pull them out of a
long line of cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
mshornet

Thanks for your reply. What I would like to do is search a column of cells
and contain text. Some of the cells contain the letters "vo". Others do
not. I want to select those cells that contain "vo" and copy them to another
column.

"mshornet" wrote in message
How do I find cells that contain specific characters and pull them out of
long line of cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
mshornet

Thanks. I should explain my problem better. I have a long column of cells
that contain text. Some of these cells have the characters "VO" in them. I
want to find those cells and make a new column of cells with only those cells
that contained "VO" in them.

"mshornet" wrote:

How do I find cells that contain specific characters and pull them out of a
long line of cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

The easiest way:

Assume the data is in the range A2:A100, A1 is the column header.

Select cell A1
Goto DataFilterAutoFilter
Click the arrow that appears in cell A1
Select CUSTOM
From the drop down that says EQUALS, select CONTAINS
In the box to the right enter: vo
Click OK.

Do your copy/paste

Then turn off the filter:

Data FilterAutoFilter (selecting AutoFilter toggles it on or off)

Biff

"mshornet" wrote in message
How do I find cells that contain specific characters and pull them out
of
long line of cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

DataFilterAutofilter

Filter on VO then copy those cells to another column.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP