Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Trey

Default Replacing specific characters

Hi there,

I have a column in an excel spreadsheet that is populated with one of two
things:

1. Normal text: i.e. words, numbers, addresses, etc...

or

2. A single 0 (zero)

What I want to do is execute a Find/Replace or similar command that will
eliminate the text in the cell if it is a single zero _without_ deleting any
other zeroes in any of the other cells.

Doing a simple find/replace does get rid of the zeroes in the "zero cells"
but also gets rid of zeroes in other cells (so -- like an address that has a
number 12007 becomes 127).

In smaller spreadsheets, I can simply hand-delete the "zero cells" but now
I'm starting to get spreadsheets that are over a thousand lines long and
hand-deleting is not time effective.

Thanks very much in advance!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hi!

Try this:

Select the range of cells in question
Goto EditReplace
Find what: 0
Replace with: nothing, leave this blank
Click the Options button
Check Match entire cell contents
Replace All

Biff

"Trey" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Edit|Replace

If you don't see the all the options, click that Options button.

There's a spot where you can specify "Match entire cell contents"

Make sure you select just the range you want to fix first.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
B. R.Ramachandran

Hi,

See whether the following approach helps.

Let's suppose that the data are in A2:A1001. Create a helper column (say
B2:B1001), by entering the following formula in B2 and autofilling down to
B1001.

=IF(LEN(TRIM(A2))1,A2,IF(ISERROR(A2*1),A2,IF(A2*1 <0,A2,"")))

Select B2:B1001 -- "Edit" -- "Copy" -- "Edit" -- "Paste Special" --
"Values" -- "OK" (This is to unlink Column B from Column A, so that the
latter can be deleted if desired)

Regards,
B. R. Ramachandran