Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I use specific characters to hold value

I deal with different box sizes and I want to know how much each shipment I
make is costing in boxes. Can I use some kind of formula for a column so that
if I use a specific character (ex. "3PL") Excel will automatically assign a
value I've determined for that box. So, basically if Column Q has "3PL" in a
cell then that cell value would be $0.73, and if it has "SPL" then $0.78 etc.
This value however, needs to be applicable to formulas so that if other
columns call on retrieving the info (* Column N = Column O - Column Q*) they
will be able to say 'hey look, Column O is $5.00, Column Q is "3PL" which
means its $0.73, so Column N = $5.00-$0.73 which is $4.27. Make sense???? Oh
and I should also explain that I would like the cell to show "3PL" and not
the actual value when I look at my sheet.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You must follow legal naming conventions for naming cells and as far as I'm
aware it's illegal to name a cell beginning with the letter 3 as in 3PL. That
said pick a legal name like PL3 and try this

Select a cell and
Insert|Name|Define
name your cell PL3
click Ok and enter a value in your cell

You can now do mat functions using that name i.e.

=a1+PL3

Mike