Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_292_] Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_292_] is offline

Default lookup with some specific characters

Damn! The newsreader-breaks-at-spaces got me again. There is a single blank
space following that asterisk in the formula I posted.

Rick

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
Assuming your main data is on Sheet1 (change the reference as required)
starting in Row 2 (Row 1 is assumed to be a header) and assuming the
worksheet where your IDs are has the ID Name in Column A starting in Row 2
also, then put this formula in Column B and copy across, then copy those
all down.

=INDEX(Sheet1!$A$2:$C12,ROW(Sheet1!$A$2)+MATCH(PRO PER(REPLACE($A2,2,0,"*
")),Sheet1!$A$2:$A12,0)-ROW(Sheet1!$A$2),COLUMN(Sheet1!B2))

Rick

"Gaurav" wrote in message
Hi All,

In one sheet I have names. for example - Michael Jackson and then some
information in the rest of the columns. In the other sheet I have the IDs
which is first initial and the last name without space. Example -
MJACKSON. I need to use VLOOKUP but i need to find this ID in the names
and then return the values from rest of the columns.

Thanks for any help.