Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Importing data

I am importing a report into Excel and I would like to make comments on each
line. But this report will change as I update purchase orders in our system.
It will also change as purchase orders are received into our system. Our
system generates this report and I would like the comments to stay with the
line when I import the new report that is different. I would like to make new
comments on the new lines. Is this possible? if so, how?

Item number Purchase Order Date received Name Comment
11001 102548 2/14/08 Dell Computer
Waiting for invoice
12001 152121 3/4/08 Lowe's
Cancelled order
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could save the first report, with comments, to a 'master workbook'
which you would use to add comments. When you run new reports, save
them to a different workbook and use VLOOKUP (either manually or by
code) to re-insert the comments back into the new report. Then you
could do a couple of things at this point:

1) Sort the data so the new entries (the ones that aren't in the
master workbook) are grouped together and then paste them into the
master workbook, where you would add new comments;
2) Use a macro to compare both worksheets and copy new rows from the
new report into the old report, where (again) you would manually add
new comments;

ps- what format are you using to import the data?

HTH,
JP