George

Default Importing Data & Refresh Data Problem

I have for some time updating a worksheet in Excel 2002 from a CSV file. The
source of that file has now switched from comma separated to tab separated. I
can't seem to prevent Excel from trying to read the file wrong. I have tried
renaming to .txt and .tab to no effect. I can't even import the tab-separated
file into a blank worksheet within the same Excel file. The import text
wizard will not start up. It seems that Excel knows about the original file
and I haven't figured out how to remove that information. How do I cancel out
Excel's inappropriate knowledge of the file so that I can tell it about the
tab-separated version?

Thank you, George

Earl Kiosterud

George,

You don't say if you're using File - Open, or Data - Get external data.
Tell us the specific steps, in Excel terms.

There's some information on Excel and text files at
http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/textfiles.htm that may be helpful.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"George" wrote in message
[...]

George

Earl, Thank you. My problem was with the Data/Get Extgernal Data. I have now
discovered that the wizard will start up. I guess I had previously determined
that the query needed to be deleted. However after I had deleted the query, I
couldn't get the get external data wizard to start up. Apparently it needed a
restart before it would allow the get external data to kick off the wizard. I
think that I am ok now.