Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Count of Names in Column A

Hello Experts:

I have several names posted several times in Column A and which will change
from day to day. How can I count all occurences of each name in Column A
each day. The agents will never be in the same cells and the names of the
agents will change each day. Can anyone give me direction? Thank you as
always,
--
jeannie v
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could enter a list of *all* your agents in say Column B, and then in
Column C, try something like this:

=Countif(A:A,B1)

And copy down as far as there are names in your Column B "unique list".
--
HTH,

RD

"jeannie v" wrote in message
Hello Experts:

I have several names posted several times in Column A and which will

change
from day to day. How can I count all occurences of each name in Column A
each day. The agents will never be in the same cells and the names of the
agents will change each day. Can anyone give me direction? Thank you as
always,
--
jeannie v

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try a Pivot Table:

Assuming the names are in A1:A100
with A1: AGENT

From the Excel Main Menu: <Data<Pivot Table
Use: Excel..Click [Next]
Select A1:A100..Click [Next]
Click the [Layout] button

ROW: Drag the AGENT field here
COLUMN: (leave this area blank)
DATA: Drag the AGENT field here,too
If it doesn't list as Count of AGENT...dbl-click it and set it to Count
Click [OK]
Select where you want the Pivot Table.Click [Finish].

That will list each AGENT and the count of AGENT.

To refresh the Pivot Table, just right click it and select Refresh Data

Pivot Table Links:
http://www.nickhodge.co.uk/gui/datam...ablereport.htm
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Is that something you can work with?
Post back if you have more questions.
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"jeannie v" wrote in message
Hello Experts:

I have several names posted several times in Column A and which will
change
from day to day. How can I count all occurences of each name in Column A
each day. The agents will never be in the same cells and the names of the
agents will change each day. Can anyone give me direction? Thank you as
always,
--
jeannie v

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Ron: Thank you for your expertise...I was trying a Pivot Table on my own
but wasn't having much luck....I used your instructions and it works
PERFECTLY. Thank you. I also tried Ragdyer's solution, but I prefer the
Pivot Table that you recommended. Thank you again.
--
jeannie v

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try a Pivot Table:

Assuming the names are in A1:A100
with A1: AGENT

From the Excel Main Menu: <Data<Pivot Table

"jeannie v" wrote in message
Hello Experts:

I have several names posted several times in Column A and which will
change
from day to day. How can I count all occurences of each name in Column A
each day. The agents will never be in the same cells and the names of the
agents will change each day. Can anyone give me direction? Thank you as
always,
--
jeannie v

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome, Jeannie.....I'm glad I could help.

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)