Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Count Names

I would like to be able to count the number of different names in a column.
In the example below in Column C is the field name ClientName. Under
ClientName are the different names that I would like to count. There are
several hundred files in the spreadsheet and would like to be able to count
how many are "WRRI", "Primacy" etc. How can I do this? Thanks in advance.

ClientName
WRRI
WRRI
ETC Relo
Primacy
WRRI
SIRVA
Moving Station
Prudential
Hewitt
WRRI
WRRI
Vision
Hewitt
Moving Station
SIRVA
WRRI
American Relocation
WRRI
GMAC
Moving Station
WRRI
GMAC
WRRI

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=COUNTIF(C:C,"WRRI")

or better

=COUNTIF(C:C,D2)

where you would put the different names in D2

Peo Sjoblom

"relo" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 10:50:04 -0700, relo wrote:

[...]

One way would be to set up a pivot table.

Drag "ClientName" to the Rows area and also to the Data area. With the default
settings, it will give you a list of the unique ClientNames and a count of each
name.

Count of ClientName
ClientName Total
American Relocation 1
ETC Relo 1
GMAC 2
Hewitt 2
Moving Station 3
Primacy 1
Prudential 1
SIRVA 2
Vision 1
WRRI 9
Grand Total 23

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the suggestion, but I must not be doing it right. Either it enters
a zero in the cell that I put the formula in or it gives an error message
that I created a circular function.

"relo" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you use it in the same column then you have to change the range to not
include the cell with the formula, if the data is in C2:C50 then use

=COUNTIF(C2:C50,"WRRI")

if that returns a zero than you must have either spaces or invisible html
characters

=COUNTIF(C2:C50,"*WRRI*")

Peo Sjoblom