Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel 2007 Not Responding

My 2007 version of Excel is unusable. Whenver I make an update, even
something as simple as changing the font size in a cell or cells it takes
forever. As soon as I hit the enter key I get the hourglass, within seconds
a totally white screen with "Excel Not Responding" at the top pops up. If I
look in task manager it shows two occurrences of the task as follows:

TASK Status
Myspreadsheet(Not Responding) Not Responding
Myspreadsheet Not Responding

The task will eventually finish if I wait long enough.

If I download this same spreadsheet to a maching with Excel 2003 the
response time is excellent, I want only seconds or a fraction thereof.

This happens with every action I take.

Yesterday I uninstalled my Office Professional 2007 and reinstalled, I
donwloaded all maintenance and restarted my machine. I then opened my
spreadsheet, clicked on a group of cells, and attempted to change the font
size. I was literally hung up for 20 minutes. Same problem...

Any ideas?
tln

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Terri

If you are using whole columns, then things are slower with over 1 million
cells to format, compared with 65536.

What happens when you choose a smaller range and apply formatting, is it not
responding then?

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Terri" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Roger,

These are very small files < 600 rows and only 9 columns. It does contain
links to another worksheet that is smaller yet. Yesterday I clicked on 12
cells and attempted to change the font size from 10 to 12 this took over an
hour to complete.

I'm quite certain that the file was originally created on a machine running
Office 2003. Not sure if this has any bearing on the situation.

tln

"Terri" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

What happens if you save in .xlsx format, close and then reopen the files?
Does this have any effect upon the speed?

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Terri" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Roger

I've tried this many times but thought I'd do it once again. Saved my
spreadsheet as 1997-2203 closed and reopened the file , did a click in upper
left corner to highlight all cells and changed font size. Same result, I
received the plain white screen with my File Name[Compatibility Mode] (Not
Responding). I did this about five minutes ago and I'm still locked out.
Probably will be for a long time now.

--
tln

"Terri" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Terri

I was suggesting saving it in XL2007 .xlxs format, then closing and
re-opening.
If your machine ever comes back to you, you may want to try this.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Terri" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Roger,

Doing this had no impact. Same result. FYI, my machine did eventually
come back. Not sure how long it took to make the font change because I left
for the day and it was still processing the change. Same thing will happen
tonight since I made the exact same change to the .XLXS version to test it
out.

On Monday I plan to purchase three copies of 2003 for my new machines and
pursue a refund with my vendor for Office Pro. 2007. I'm unable to get any
work done unless I work from home, same for my colleagues. I hate to do
this because I'm finally familiar enough with the changes in 2007 that I feel
comfortable with it. There are many things I do like about it but I can't
afford to invest anymore time on getting it to work. We have been limping
along with 2007 for a month now.

Terri

"Terri" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Terri

I have been using XL2007 for over 6 months, and have not experienced the
same situation as you.
Most of the workbooks that I have are low in formatting and graphics. There
are problems with the charting engine in 2007, which hopefully will be
addressed when SP1 is released.

There is no doubt that XL2007 is slower than XL2003, and this has been noted
by many people.
If you want to mail me a copy of the workbook, I would be happy to take a
look and see if there is anything that I can suggest.
To mail direct, send to
roger at technology4u dot co dot uk
Do the obvious with at and dots.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Terri" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

i am experiencing the exact same problem. Everything you have described is
locking up my excel. Eventually it comes back but I have to walk away, do
something else and come back. Something that should only take seconds ends
up taking 30 mins or even more. I am using hte trial version of office and
not sure if that is the problem but if this is what I have to look forward to
i will not be purchasing the full version. At work we still have the 2003
version of office and the files in question convert and open fine there.

Terri did you ever get this problem resloved? I am going to give microsoft
tech support a call today to see if they have a solution and I am also going
to try Roger's save .xlxs solution now as well.

"Terri" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Terri" wrote in message
[...]

I am also experiencing problems formatting a 9x9 box. Excel 2007 used
to work, but now it takes forever to add a line. I've reinstalled,
and still have the problem. No help from MS.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I am having exactly the same issues with Excel 2007 and also with
larger documents in Word 2007.

There is nothing i can find on the MS Knowledge Base so wonder what
Microsoft are doing about this problem as there are a large number of
us hitting this wall.

Anyone have an idea to fix this?

Mark