Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Excel 2007 is SLOW in responding

I have a spread sheet that contains over 3000 rows of data.
I have graphs that show the data. (date and amount)
When I click on the graph to update the rows, it takes anywhere from 30
seconds to 2 miinutes to update.
I am presently using Windows Vista Home Premium on a Dell Insprion 530 duo
core processor with 4GB of memory at 2.33 GHZ. Should be enough memory and
processing power, but it really seems to bog down.
Any ideas?

--
Dick
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Sep 17, 1:20 am, Dick wrote:
I have a spread sheet that contains over 3000 rows of data.
I have graphs that show the data. (date and amount)
When I click on the graph to update the rows, it takes anywhere from 30
seconds to 2 miinutes to update.
I am presently using Windows Vista Home Premium on a Dell Insprion 530 duo
core processor with 4GB of memory at 2.33 GHZ. Should be enough memory and
processing power, but it really seems to bog down.
Any ideas?

The short answer is that unless you absolutely have to use XL2007 go
back to using XL2003 which is very much faster at graphing moderately
big blocks of data at a respectable speed. There are some hotfixes
that make 2007 charts slightly faster, but it still runs like a drain.
I'd be interested in any hearing of any go faster tricks for 2007.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Unfortunatly, I don't have that luxury. 2007 came on the new Dell Inspiron
530, and I gave my son the old XP with 2003 Office.
Any idea when MS will issue a fix for this?
--
Dick

"Martin Brown" wrote:

On Sep 17, 1:20 am, Dick wrote:
I have a spread sheet that contains over 3000 rows of data.
I have graphs that show the data. (date and amount)
When I click on the graph to update the rows, it takes anywhere from 30
seconds to 2 miinutes to update.
I am presently using Windows Vista Home Premium on a Dell Insprion 530 duo
core processor with 4GB of memory at 2.33 GHZ. Should be enough memory and
processing power, but it really seems to bog down.
Any ideas?

The short answer is that unless you absolutely have to use XL2007 go
back to using XL2003 which is very much faster at graphing moderately
big blocks of data at a respectable speed. There are some hotfixes
that make 2007 charts slightly faster, but it still runs like a drain.
I'd be interested in any hearing of any go faster tricks for 2007.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Any idea when MS will issue a fix for this?

Probably in Excel 2010. There's a hotfix that improves the performance of
Excel 2007 from excruciatingly slow to painfully slow:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938538

Contact MS service, and they'll send you an email (no charge) with a link to
download the hotfix.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Martin Brown" wrote:

On Sep 17, 1:20 am, Dick wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Sep 18, 2:48 am, Dick wrote:
Unfortunatly, I don't have that luxury. 2007 came on the new Dell Inspiron
530, and I gave my son the old XP with 2003 Office.

If you live in a country with half decent consumer protection laws you
could try returning it to the vendor and demand to be given a product
that actually works. XL2003 is very good. Shame about 2007.

Any idea when MS will issue a fix for this?

When hell freezes over. XL2007 seems to be a really big step
backwards :(

Regards,
Martin Brown

"Martin Brown" wrote:
On Sep 17, 1:20 am, Dick wrote:
I have a spread sheet that contains over 3000 rows of data.
I have graphs that show the data. (date and amount)
When I click on the graph to update the rows, it takes anywhere from 30
seconds to 2 miinutes to update.
I am presently using Windows Vista Home Premium on a Dell Insprion 530 duo
core processor with 4GB of memory at 2.33 GHZ. Should be enough memory and
processing power, but it really seems to bog down.
Any ideas?

The short answer is that unless you absolutely have to use XL2007 go
back to using XL2003 which is very much faster at graphing moderately
big blocks of data at a respectable speed. There are some hotfixes
that make 2007 charts slightly faster, but it still runs like a drain.
I'd be interested in any hearing of any go faster tricks for 2007.

I have just discovered that one of the go-faster tricks that used to
work (disabling screen updates) makes the XL2007 charting of big
datasets run even slower than before. So a graph setup in VBA with
lots of flickering and daft intermediate filled barcharts before the X-
Y scatter graph finally appears takes 10s whilst a version with screen
updating disabled takes 25s - a whopping 2.5x increase in the time
taken!

The time to draw the same graph in XL2003 is hard to measure by hand
at <2s.