Anthony

Default Excel - Not responding help

Hi,
Having spent most of yesterday putting together my own excel workbook and am
a little gutted this morning to find I can't get into it.
The file will open but as soon as it does it freezes (egg timer thingy) and
after a minute or so I get the replt - excel not responding!
I have run a virus check, cleared all my cookies and completed a system
restore all of which did not work.
Thr workbook contains around 10 worksheets, a personal toolbar and around 20
macros all of which carry out various things.

I can get into any other excel workbook I have - but not this one ??
I can't even get into the VB editor (ALT+F11) to remove the code and/or
macros.
Can any body offer any solutions - before I beat up the cat !!!!! (joke)
Mike

Get a better computer or close down all unnecessary programs, even shut down
your virus scanner and clear your trash can then try opening it. Sounds like
you are running out of memory.

Also, if your virus scanner has not been updated in the last five years then
running it would have little affect.

FYI, cookies would have no affect but to clear a few drops of memory.

"Anthony" wrote:

Hi,
Having spent most of yesterday putting together my own excel workbook and am
a little gutted this morning to find I can't get into it.
The file will open but as soon as it does it freezes (egg timer thingy) and
after a minute or so I get the replt - excel not responding!
I have run a virus check, cleared all my cookies and completed a system
restore all of which did not work.
Thr workbook contains around 10 worksheets, a personal toolbar and around 20
macros all of which carry out various things.

I can get into any other excel workbook I have - but not this one ??
I can't even get into the VB editor (ALT+F11) to remove the code and/or
macros.
Can any body offer any solutions - before I beat up the cat !!!!! (joke)

Anthony

Mike,
thanks for info, however
The PC is less than six months old, I have disabled all virus scanners -
which was updated 2 days ago .............!
so 'thanks' for your help!

"Anthony" wrote:

Hi,
Having spent most of yesterday putting together my own excel workbook and am
a little gutted this morning to find I can't get into it.
The file will open but as soon as it does it freezes (egg timer thingy) and
after a minute or so I get the replt - excel not responding!
I have run a virus check, cleared all my cookies and completed a system
restore all of which did not work.
Thr workbook contains around 10 worksheets, a personal toolbar and around 20
macros all of which carry out various things.

I can get into any other excel workbook I have - but not this one ??
I can't even get into the VB editor (ALT+F11) to remove the code and/or
macros.
Can any body offer any solutions - before I beat up the cat !!!!! (joke)

Jim Cone

Anthony,

Couple of things to try, no guarantees.

1.Delete your toolbar file (Excel10.xlb in xl2002), it is automatically rebuilt
when xl opens. Probably best to open another file first and uncheck
all add-ins in Tools | Add-ins then close xl and delete the file.

2. Press the Shift key while opening the file. This disables macros.

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Anthony" wrote in message
Having spent most of yesterday putting together my own excel workbook and am
a little gutted this morning to find I can't get into it.
The file will open but as soon as it does it freezes (egg timer thingy) and
after a minute or so I get the replt - excel not responding!
I have run a virus check, cleared all my cookies and completed a system
restore all of which did not work.
Thr workbook contains around 10 worksheets, a personal toolbar and around 20
macros all of which carry out various things.

I can get into any other excel workbook I have - but not this one ??
I can't even get into the VB editor (ALT+F11) to remove the code and/or
macros.
Can any body offer any solutions - before I beat up the cat !!!!! (joke)
Anthony

Jim,
thanks for your 'sensible' answer - but your suggestions din't work
any other ideas??
many thanks

"Anthony" wrote in message
Having spent most of yesterday putting together my own excel workbook and am
a little gutted this morning to find I can't get into it.
The file will open but as soon as it does it freezes (egg timer thingy) and
after a minute or so I get the replt - excel not responding!
I have run a virus check, cleared all my cookies and completed a system
restore all of which did not work.
Thr workbook contains around 10 worksheets, a personal toolbar and around 20
macros all of which carry out various things.

I can get into any other excel workbook I have - but not this one ??
I can't even get into the VB editor (ALT+F11) to remove the code and/or
macros.
Can any body offer any solutions - before I beat up the cat !!!!! (joke)

Jim Cone

There are others solutions that are supposed to be able to open
corrupted files, but most of them only allow access to your
formulas or data.
If you have a "later" version of XL then the File | Open dialog box
has an option to "open and repair". You just have to find it.
In the dialog box, adjacent to the Open button in the bottom right
corner is a "down" arrow. Click that to show the open and repair option.

I've read that opening an Excel file from Word Pad can sometimes
allow you to get your data and code.
Also, you could try Star Office or Open Office to open the file.
They seem to be able to handle corrupted files better than XL..
I've found XL modules are viewable in my 5.2 version of Star Office.

Regards,
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Anthony" wrote in message
Having spent most of yesterday putting together my own excel workbook and am
a little gutted this morning to find I can't get into it.
The file will open but as soon as it does it freezes (egg timer thingy) and
after a minute or so I get the replt - excel not responding!
I have run a virus check, cleared all my cookies and completed a system
restore all of which did not work.
Thr workbook contains around 10 worksheets, a personal toolbar and around 20
macros all of which carry out various things.

I can get into any other excel workbook I have - but not this one ??
I can't even get into the VB editor (ALT+F11) to remove the code and/or
macros.
Can any body offer any solutions - before I beat up the cat !!!!! (joke)

Anthony

Jim
I can't access any of the excel options as it freezes on opening.
I tried opening the documewnt in word pad and its just a jumbled mess.
and regret I have not not got the 'star office' software.
.....so looks like I'm still stuck!!
many thanks for trying

"Anthony" wrote in message
Having spent most of yesterday putting together my own excel workbook and am
a little gutted this morning to find I can't get into it.
The file will open but as soon as it does it freezes (egg timer thingy) and
after a minute or so I get the replt - excel not responding!
I have run a virus check, cleared all my cookies and completed a system
restore all of which did not work.
Thr workbook contains around 10 worksheets, a personal toolbar and around 20
macros all of which carry out various things.

I can get into any other excel workbook I have - but not this one ??
I can't even get into the VB editor (ALT+F11) to remove the code and/or
macros.
Can any body offer any solutions - before I beat up the cat !!!!! (joke)

Jim Cone

Anthony,

Not quite sure, what you tried but did you...

from a blank workbook, go to File | Open, select the corrupted file and
then select the "Open and Repair" option.

Open Office is a free download, quite large but free...
http://www.openoffice.org/

Jim Cone

"Anthony" wrote in message

Jim
I can't access any of the excel options as it freezes on opening.
I tried opening the documewnt in word pad and its just a jumbled mess.
and regret I have not not got the 'star office' software.
.....so looks like I'm still stuck!!
many thanks for trying

Anthony

Jim,

Ummmm

Ok, I opened a new workbook then File / Open selected my 'order' file but
when it opens it stops - not responding.
I have just downloaded a free copy of the Open Office - I'm gonna give that
a go - wish me luck !
rgds
Anthony