Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier[_3_] Roger Govier[_3_] is offline

Default Excel 2007 Not Responding

Hi

What happens if you save in .xlsx format, close and then reopen the files?
Does this have any effect upon the speed?

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Terri" wrote in message
Hi Roger,

These are very small files < 600 rows and only 9 columns. It does contain
links to another worksheet that is smaller yet. Yesterday I clicked on
12
cells and attempted to change the font size from 10 to 12 this took over
an
hour to complete.

I'm quite certain that the file was originally created on a machine
running
Office 2003. Not sure if this has any bearing on the situation.

tln

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Terri

If you are using whole columns, then things are slower with over 1
million
cells to format, compared with 65536.

What happens when you choose a smaller range and apply formatting, is it
not
responding then?

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Terri" wrote in message
My 2007 version of Excel is unusable. Whenver I make an update, even
something as simple as changing the font size in a cell or cells it
takes
forever. As soon as I hit the enter key I get the hourglass, within
seconds
a totally white screen with "Excel Not Responding" at the top pops up.
If
look in task manager it shows two occurrences of the task as follows:

TASK Status
Myspreadsheet(Not Responding) Not Responding
Myspreadsheet Not Responding

The task will eventually finish if I wait long enough.

If I download this same spreadsheet to a maching with Excel 2003 the
response time is excellent, I want only seconds or a fraction thereof.

This happens with every action I take.

Yesterday I uninstalled my Office Professional 2007 and reinstalled, I
donwloaded all maintenance and restarted my machine. I then opened my
spreadsheet, clicked on a group of cells, and attempted to change the
font
size. I was literally hung up for 20 minutes. Same problem...

Any ideas?
tln