Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Change Font/formatting for EXCEL Drop-Down List selector...

I've spent the better part of a day searching for some information on how to
change the font/formatting used in drawing the menu-sector of the Drop-Down
(list) combo box generated by the Data Validation tool in Excel.

The target cell can be formatted - obviously thats pretty simple. But the
content in the menu not so easily. The problem is that I need to use the
font Winding2 and rather than showing the Winding icon, I get the ASCII
equivalent like: £, ¢, ˜˜˜or „¢

Is there some way of doing this without building it with VB?

--
Rob Poretti
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Bump to keep current - still cannot figure this out... anyone?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

ahhhhhhh! I can't figure this out!

Any Excel MVP's out there?

Much appreciate any help...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Rob

You can't do this with Data Validation dropdowns
You could do it using a Combo box

For information on how to set up Combo Boxes take a look at Debra
Dalgleish's site

Look at the section on Font. Here you can select Wingdings as your font
property for the Combo, and the characters you have set up in your list will
show up.
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Rob Poretti" wrote in message
ahhhhhhh! I can't figure this out!

Any Excel MVP's out there?

Much appreciate any help...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for the link to that site... some interesting tutorials there...
however that tutorial does not work in Exel 2007. After trying the concept
in my sheet, and then trying to build the sheet exactly as described, I
finally gave in and downloaded the one provided by the author... it doesn't
work.

When I double click, it simples switches to data entry mode, instead of
launching the combo-box. There must be some differences between who double
click event is used in 2007?

Other ideas?

By the way.. .thanks guys for responding to my post... I really do
appreciate it...

Rob
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Rob

Which of Debra's files did you download?
If you let me know, I will download and run it under Xl2007 to see if I can
see what's up.
If Debra spots this post, she may reply directly herself.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry... Thanksgiving Day long weekend in Canada....

I downloaded: DataValComboboxSheet.xls

This one specifically talks about creating a Combo-box that gets used
anywhere where you double click on a Validation list:

Rob
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Rob

No it works fine in XL2007.
My guess is that you did not enable Macros.
When you load the file, then dependent upon your security settings, a
Security message will probably appear above the formula bar saying
"Security Warning Macros have been disabled" - with an Options box to the
right.
Click the Options and select Enable this Content.