Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Password Strength - Excel

I have tried to protect a spreadsheet with a 252 character password made up
of Numbers, UCase, LCase and various Symbols. I know it works because if I
change just one character somewhere in that string, the sheet fails to
unprotect. I then sent it to a friend to see if he could break it. He said
it took less than 2 minutes with a commericial product and it came up with a
working unprotect password only 12 characters long (all UCase Letters and a
sequence not found in the 252 one).

How is it possible for a 12 character password to unlock a 252 one ????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

How is it possible for a 12 character password to unlock a 252 one ????

Regardless of the technical explanation, facts are facts....You've just
discovered that protecting an Excel file with a password is akin to locking
the door to your home. It only discourages inadvertent entry attempts and
the slightly dishonest. Anybody with serious intent can find their way in
with only moderate effort. If you need serious security, you won't find it
in Excel.

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Phil - Ohio" <Phil - wrote in message
I have tried to protect a spreadsheet with a 252 character password made up
of Numbers, UCase, LCase and various Symbols. I know it works because if
change just one character somewhere in that string, the sheet fails to
unprotect. I then sent it to a friend to see if he could break it. He
said
it took less than 2 minutes with a commericial product and it came up with
working unprotect password only 12 characters long (all UCase Letters and
sequence not found in the 252 one).

How is it possible for a 12 character password to unlock a 252 one ????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

'You've just discovered that protecting an Excel file with a password is
akin to locking
the door to your home. It only discourages inadvertent entry attempts and
the slightly dishonest.'

Very good analogy.

Sheet protection is as good as useless with minimal coding knowledge and the
code freely available on these newsgroups. Workbook protection, and VB
editor protection can be broken with readily available commercial software
costing not very much at all.

I've always wondered why MS don't improve the security of Excel, if not
generally then at least as an optional extra. For a small company for
instance, Excel is perfect for payroll, staff databases like holidays etc,
but it's limited by the ever present security issue. It can't be that
difficult to make it secure, can it?

Regards,
Alan.

"Ron Coderre" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Is protection in VB7 stronger?

Regards,
Stefi

€žPhil - Ohio€ ezt Ã*rta:

"Phil - Ohio" wrote:

I have tried to protect a spreadsheet with a 252 character password made up
of Numbers, UCase, LCase and various Symbols. I know it works because if I
change just one character somewhere in that string, the sheet fails to
unprotect. I then sent it to a friend to see if he could break it. He said
it took less than 2 minutes with a commericial product and it came up with a
working unprotect password only 12 characters long (all UCase Letters and a
sequence not found in the 252 one).

How is it possible for a 12 character password to unlock a 252 one ????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks, Peo

-------------
Best Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

VB executable programs use compiled code. VBA runs interpreted code,..the
programming can be viewed.

I hope that helps.
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Phil - Ohio" wrote:

I have tried to protect a spreadsheet with a 252 character password
made up
of Numbers, UCase, LCase and various Symbols. I know it works because
if I
change just one character somewhere in that string, the sheet fails to
unprotect. I then sent it to a friend to see if he could break it. He
said
it took less than 2 minutes with a commericial product and it came up
with a
working unprotect password only 12 characters long (all UCase Letters
and a
sequence not found in the 252 one).

How is it possible for a 12 character password to unlock a 252 one ????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Ron, does it mean that VB7 produces compiled code? I haven't met VB7
before.

Regards,
Stefi

€žRon Coderre€ ezt Ã*rta:

"Stefi" wrote in message
Is protection in VB7 stronger?

Regards,
Stefi

"Phil - Ohio" ezt Ã*rta:

"Phil - Ohio" wrote:

I have tried to protect a spreadsheet with a 252 character password
made up
of Numbers, UCase, LCase and various Symbols. I know it works because
if I
change just one character somewhere in that string, the sheet fails to
unprotect. I then sent it to a friend to see if he could break it. He
said
it took less than 2 minutes with a commericial product and it came up
with a
working unprotect password only 12 characters long (all UCase Letters
and a
sequence not found in the 252 one).

How is it possible for a 12 character password to unlock a 252 one ????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

From what I recall (and just Googled to make sure), VB.NET (VB7) does run
compiled code,
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Phil - Ohio" wrote:

I have tried to protect a spreadsheet with a 252 character password
made up
of Numbers, UCase, LCase and various Symbols. I know it works
because
if I
change just one character somewhere in that string, the sheet fails
unprotect. I then sent it to a friend to see if he could break it.
He
said
it took less than 2 minutes with a commericial product and it came
up
with a
working unprotect password only 12 characters long (all UCase
Letters
and a
sequence not found in the 252 one).

How is it possible for a 12 character password to unlock a 252 one
????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks, I think then I'll follow Phil. The only problem that in this case my
users also have to follow me.
Regards,
Stefi

€žRon Coderre€ ezt Ã*rta:

From what I recall (and just Googled to make sure), VB.NET (VB7) does run
compiled code,
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Stefi" wrote in message
Thanks Ron, does it mean that VB7 produces compiled code? I haven't met
VB7
before.

Regards,
Stefi