Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom Peo Sjoblom is offline

Default Password Strength - Excel

Nice description Ron , that's a keeper for this question

Peo Sjoblom

"Ron Coderre" wrote in message
How is it possible for a 12 character password to unlock a 252 one ????

Regardless of the technical explanation, facts are facts....You've just
discovered that protecting an Excel file with a password is akin to
locking the door to your home. It only discourages inadvertent entry
attempts and the slightly dishonest. Anybody with serious intent can find
their way in with only moderate effort. If you need serious security, you
won't find it in Excel.

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Phil - Ohio" <Phil - wrote in message
I have tried to protect a spreadsheet with a 252 character password made
up
of Numbers, UCase, LCase and various Symbols. I know it works because if
change just one character somewhere in that string, the sheet fails to
unprotect. I then sent it to a friend to see if he could break it. He
said
it took less than 2 minutes with a commericial product and it came up
with a
working unprotect password only 12 characters long (all UCase Letters and
sequence not found in the 252 one).

How is it possible for a 12 character password to unlock a 252 one ????