Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre Ron Coderre is offline

Default Password Strength - Excel

How is it possible for a 12 character password to unlock a 252 one ????

Regardless of the technical explanation, facts are facts....You've just
discovered that protecting an Excel file with a password is akin to locking
the door to your home. It only discourages inadvertent entry attempts and
the slightly dishonest. Anybody with serious intent can find their way in
with only moderate effort. If you need serious security, you won't find it
in Excel.

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Phil - Ohio" <Phil - wrote in message
I have tried to protect a spreadsheet with a 252 character password made up
of Numbers, UCase, LCase and various Symbols. I know it works because if
change just one character somewhere in that string, the sheet fails to
unprotect. I then sent it to a friend to see if he could break it. He
said
it took less than 2 minutes with a commericial product and it came up with
working unprotect password only 12 characters long (all UCase Letters and
sequence not found in the 252 one).

How is it possible for a 12 character password to unlock a 252 one ????